Varroa in australia

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

kaihoka

Gold
whanganui inlet
Experience
Hobbyist
There is a report in the news about a varroa outbreak in Aus and that NSW is under a no move hives quarantine.
The hives all need to move into almonds in 4 weeks so its going to be pretty tough on some beeks .
And if they do not contain the outbreak it must make a huge challenge to the beekkeeping industry there.
It is such a big country I should imagine that the hives must be left for quite a while between checks .

• Sad
Reactions: Otto
Hastings
Experience
Semi Commercial
There is a report in the news about a varroa outbreak in Aus and that NSW is under a no move hives quarantine.
The hives all need to move into almonds in 4 weeks so its going to be pretty tough on some beeks .
And if they do not contain the outbreak it must make a huge challenge to the beekkeeping industry there.
It is such a big country I should imagine that the hives must be left for quite a while between checks .
Poor blighters! Gotta feel for them.

Hawkes Bay
Experience
Commercial
Australia would be completely insane not to go for eradication no matter what the cost. It's bad enough here but over there they also have European foul brood and Small hive beetle.
Think about every hive you have ever had weakened or killed by varoa getting slimed out.
As far as compensation goes I think there was some for movement controls but there has never been any compensation for the cost of treatments which is ongoing and only gets worse. The costs weren't so bad when times were good but now they can make the difference between whether your business is viable or not.

kaihoka

Gold
whanganui inlet
Experience
Hobbyist
One of the beeks close to centre of the outbreaks who has to destroy all his hives is a queen breeder.
All his genetic material and yrs of breeding destroyed .
Must be heart breaking .

Christchurch
Experience
Hobbyist
One of the beeks close to centre of the outbreaks who has to destroy all his hives is a queen breeder.
All his genetic material and yrs of breeding destroyed .
Must be heart breaEspecially when you consider the likelihood of success.

Wonder how they got there?

sadly, the detections appear to be spreading rapidly.
Probably means no one was looking, now they are. Can’t imagine hardly anyone here did routine testing for varroa before it arrived.

NickWallingford

BOP Club
Tauranga
Experience
Retired
Wonder how they got there?

Probably means no one was looking, now they are. Can’t imagine hardly anyone here did routine testing for varroa before it arrived.
Back then we still had an effective set of Apicultural Advisory Officers who did monitor for pest and disease incursions.

Christchurch
Experience
Hobbyist
So were the Apicuatural officers doing their job- no not really
To be fair, the apiculture officers can only watch the problem unfold, they have no chance of stopping it. Unless they can catch the contaminated stuff at the border.

How did it get to Australia? On a beek or his poorly quarantined gear/bees

Canterbury
Experience
Hobbyist
i would guess they could do that.
but does it achieve anything? a lot of $$$ to spend just so you can point the finger.
I’m sure they will test for that as part of the exercise is to fully understand the pathway. As the same pathway can
bring other exotic
Pests and diseases, not just for bees

Reactions: John B