Varroa in australia

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Gisborne Tairawhiti
Experience
Researcher
OK, a bit more.
There are two many n DNA ‘groups’ based on the smaller region sequencing tests lbut it’s possible to see some finer changes. Cost would be maybe $100 to the lab to do this.
However I can imagine they’re in the process of genome sequencing it (think back to strains of COVID). However I don’t know how many genome sequences are on the database to match against. Cost is probably $200-500 per genome (probably doing a few).

DNA testing is cheap. Unlike tanks, drums, floats, prickers, spinners. . .

kaihoka

Gold
whanganui inlet
Experience
Hobbyist
I wonder how this will affect the nature of the industry if it spreads uncontrollably.
Things like the flow hive will be impractical .
Hobby beeks i know of in aus manage their hives very different from here.
Like we did thirty yrs ago .

maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
I wonder how this will affect the nature of the industry if it spreads uncontrollably.
Things like the flow hive will be impractical .
Hobby beeks i know of in aus manage their hives very different from here.
Like we did thirty yrs ago .
it will be a massive change, i dare say far more of a change than what we have experienced here.

Hawkes Bay
Experience
Commercial
Close down all hive movement for the whole country ideally or at least the state immediately. Interview every beekeeper within 2000 km of the outbreak on their hive movements.Bring in a mandatory million-dollar fine and 10 years in prison for nonreporting and breaking movement controls.Buy a #### ton of fipronol .Lock up the loony leftists greens.
It won't be easy to eradicate and there are also a lot of native species of bees in Australia which will have to be considered in any poisoning attempt . Paying prompt and reasonable compensation to beekeepers would also help.
My final piece of advice is that if eradication is not going to be attempted then save everybody a lot of hassle and just open things up. There are already controls on movement between Western Australia and the rest of the country and these are the only ones that would make any sense .

Dansar

Founder Member
BOP Club
Putaruru
Experience
Commercial
Interesting reading on the Aussie Facebook forums.
Unless there is a massive (land area and number of bait stations) poisoning program, then I’m seeing that there are a huge number of “mite spreaders” waiting.
Too many beekeeper Luddite’s to have a systematic and effective kill.

Reactions: frazzledfozzle

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Just seen a bunch of Ozzy beekeepers on Facebook whinging about the fact they have to pay for their own varroa testing shaker jar, they think the government should give them one. I told them wait and see how much it costs if you do not control this outbreak, and end up having to treat for varroa.

Bay of Plenty
Experience
Commercial
Interesting reading on the Aussie Facebook forums.
Unless there is a massive (land area and number of bait stations) poisoning program, then I’m seeing that there are a huge number of “mite spreaders” waiting.
Too many beekeeper Luddite’s to have a systematic and effective kill.
Which facebook forums? It would be good to have one that captures all whats going on

Dansar

Founder Member
BOP Club
Putaruru
Experience
Commercial
Which facebook forums? It would be good to have one that captures all whats going on
Just snippets that filter through to my Facebook page. I must have started following some fringe beekeeping groups a few years ago to keep up with all the correct ways to keep bees. 😉

• Haha
Reactions: Alastair
Hawkes Bay
Experience
Researcher
I've just been for a winter break in Cairns, and Apis cerana the small Asian honeybee seemed common there. I thought it was the Varroa host species in Asia. I don't know if the Aussie population has Varroa but it could surely act as a reservoir if the outbreak spread North.
Edit:
I see Apis cerana is considered an invasive exotic species in Oz, and indeed Varroa infested specimens were identified in 2016. This appears to be quite separate from the A mellifera outbreak further South, but surely is not a good thing... National Varroa Mite Eradication Program

Last edited: