Varroa issues with my hives...

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Viv

Auckland
Experience
Hobbyist
Hi, can any one please offer some sound advice. I have Apistan in four of my hives. They have approximately 3 weeks to go before they need removing. Two hives are not in a good state, and the Apistan does not seem to be effective enough. Does any one know if I can use another set of strips once the first set comes out. I do not want to harm the hives. I use Bayvarol normally in spring, all hives have enough stores, pollen etc. I hope some one can help.

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
Hi @Viv and welcome. Would you be good enough to complete a hive log for each of your hives from your last inspection so that we have additional detail.

Katikati
Experience
Commercial
Hi, can any one please offer some sound advice. I have Apistan in four of my hives. They have approximately 3 weeks to go before they need removing. Two hives are not in a good state, and the Apistan does not seem to be effective enough. Does any one know if I can use another set of strips once the first set comes out. I do not want to harm the hives. I use Bayvarol normally in spring, all hives have enough stores, pollen etc. I hope some one can help.
Hi. It's difficult to give advice without good information. Hence Grants response. Saying that the hives are in poor shape is not enough to go on.
Best is photos of each hive. What the bees,brood look like.
Yes, you can add other treatment after, though a waste of time/money if the interigty of the hive is stuffed.
Probably lots of deformed wing virus.
You may need to add healthy brood from the best hive to the weak ones.
Reduce entrances. High risk of robbing. Don't take long doing any checks.
An oxalic dribble could help.

Viv

Auckland
Experience
Hobbyist
Sorry I meant Apitraz in the hives. DWV is present. Just obtained my DECA and have done the match stick test, checked for all symptoms of AFB. Nothing definitive. I am feeling sure it is all Varroa related. One hive which is the worst has been robbed out and I have added stores.

Christchurch
Experience
Beginner
It was already closed up. Tiniest opening
Adding frames of bees / brood really helps as the weak hive will need a boost and it's the quickest way to get its population strong again.

Also feeding 1:1 sugar water syrup gets the queen breeding .. was advice recently given to me with a weak hive.

North Canterbury
Experience
Commercial
Double edged sword..
adding brood also weakens the good colony..
feeding syrup to a weak hive with known robbing going on... hmm
Could be a case of uniting them together and re split once varroa has been dealt to and they’re on the power curve next spring.

As others have said.. add some pics if you can- says a thousand words..

Reactions: Alastair
Christchurch
Experience
Beginner
Double edged sword..
adding brood also weakens the good colony..
feeding syrup to a weak hive with known robbing going on... hmm
Could be a case of uniting them together and re split once varroa has been dealt to and they’re on the power curve next spring.

As others have said.. add some pics if you can- says a thousand words..
Agreed but if they are low on food they will need something. With 4 hives a frame from each of the two strong ones shouldnt be too devastating if they have bees to spare but would make a big difference to a weak hive.

If you united them would you kill the weak queen or use a QE and cohabitate?

maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
Could be a case of uniting them together and re split once varroa has been dealt to
most likely the better way to fix this.
however i suspect all hives will be in a similar condition.
it really needs to have an experienced beek to have a look as i suspect the condition of them is being underplayed.

Reactions: Alastair