Wax for my moustache...

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

NickWallingford

BOP Club
Tauranga
Experience
Retired
Well, the time has finally come - I've run out of really 'usable' beeswax, now about 25 years since I've had hives. And what I've got left is not so delicate and white as what I want to keep my mustache twirling. And since the mustache is well and truly white, I need lighter wax! How might I best procure 100gm or so of the finest white beeswax in Tauranga?

And I'll share my 'secret' recipe: 50% by weight beeswax, 50% coconut oil. And just melt them together...

Nick

mustache.jpg

Mummzie

Staff member
Tasman
Experience
Hobbyist
If you have no luck locally Nick I can slip some in the post to you. You will need to put a method of contact in your profile to keep within the rules tho.
No Jojoba oi; in your secret recipe?
Is it the same as beard wax or is mustache wax firmer?

NickWallingford

BOP Club
Tauranga
Experience
Retired
Thanks for that offer.

I've never used or made any of the beard stuff but I what I've seen was quite a lot more pliable. But even the mix that I gave varies in consistency quite a lot with the weather/temperature

Hastings
Experience
Semi Commercial
If you are happy to buy it online, try Pure Nature. They sell refined cosmetic grade beeswax.

NickWallingford

BOP Club
Tauranga
Experience
Retired
If you are happy to buy it online, try Pure Nature. They sell refined cosmetic grade beeswax.
Sorry. Even if imported under a permit that indicates it poses minimal disease risk to NZ, I would still prefer to have NZ beeswax above my top lip! Thanks.

NickWallingford

BOP Club
Tauranga
Experience
Retired
Nick - I guess if you need whiter wax - you will have to opt for paraffin! If you want some Leeston wax let me know. Or do you have another varietal in mind.
Thanks, Maggie - I was just trying to eliminate the postage cost, given that the amount is so small. And sounds like Dave Black, a local, will be able to sell me something suitable soon. Thanks!

canterbury
Experience
Commercial
Uh ... huh .... so most of the time do you just droop .... and just stiffen up for special occasions .... just asking as I often wondered about waxing mine.... but the missus s chops it when i get a .... trim

NickWallingford

BOP Club
Tauranga
Experience
Retired
I've had a full beard most of my life, but never allow the mustache to grow. When short, and esp. when recently 'trimmed', it can be quite spikey to others close to you. But the wax holds it up so the lips are visible, and that has brought acceptance. Sometimes.

• Haha
Reactions: Trevor Gillbanks

NickWallingford

BOP Club
Tauranga
Experience
Retired
Free market economy ... the mods are chilled and the peasants can talk their mind🤓
And if this thread takes off? There's no stopping it. We'll be responsible for selling multiple tonnes of NZ beeswax, component in the most (adjective needed here) mustache wax in the world!