NZBF: Well here goes a new hobby

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Te Horo
Experience
Hobbyist
Picked up some hives that had been wintered over, and got them home with only a few hiccups (or is that meant to bee stings).
Now just itching to have a look inside, but that will have to wait for warmer days.
Brood boxes are still heavy with food, and the bees are happily coming and going, quite a few with pollen coming home.
I start with our local bee club next week and a level 3 course.
Can't wait

kaihoka

Gold
whanganui inlet
Experience
Hobbyist
Picked up some hives that had been wintered over, and got them home with only a few hiccups (or is that meant to bee stings).
Now just itching to have a look inside, but that will have to wait for warmer days.
Brood boxes are still heavy with food, and the bees are happily coming and going, quite a few with pollen coming home.
I start with our local bee club next week and a level 3 course.
Can't wait
Dont be discouraged when things go wrong .
It takes a while to get a feel for how bees will behave in your area .
Also avoid being tempted to use secondhand gear that someone kindly offers.
I gave a friend a nuc a couple of yrs ago who wanted to get back into bee keeping.
He had had bees before varroa .
He put my nuc in a new box but wanted to multiply up and was given gear by someone whoses hives had died . From varroa he was told .
But my friends hives got sick and died so he has burnt all his gear .
He will only use new stuff now .
He was not part of a group . Having contact with experienced people will make it a lot easier for you to avoid mistakes .

Reactions: Beessting and NZDan
UK
Experience
International
make that "having contact with GOOD experienced people ........"
Agreed. I hear stories of apparently experienced beekeepers who give absolutely daft advice - and watch out for the dodgy You Tube videos. Most are OK but not all - and they often relate to somewhere where the forage and climate is different. So good local advice is the best. (Don't take my word for it - as this is from someone who is completely NOT local :confused: ).

Reactions: tristan and NZDan