Who edits the content of "the beekeeper"?

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Dunedin
Experience
Semi Commercial
Was having a brief look through the latest beekeeper magazine. On page 65 there is a photo with the caption "bee on cornflower" with a photo credit to the person who wrote a wee article about goings on in the Waikato domestic beekeepers association. Surely someone on the editing panel could identify that this photo is not in fact of a honeybee but of the hoverfly? This is a beekeeping magazine!

Hawkes Bay
Experience
Commercial
At the conference dinner one of the sponsors had a repeating shot of giant honeybees. I'm pretty sure having a shot of a hover fly is not a first for the magazine although I may be wrong. Bees aren't the only thing that people get wrong with New Zealand kingfishers being regularly replaced with foreign species and even in New Zealand had some very pretty northern hemisphere gannets flying in one of their adverts.

Dunedin
Experience
Semi Commercial
I've seen plenty of photos of this species of hoverfly labelled as a honeybee but I find it disappointing to see in the NZ beekeeping industry magazine.

Reactions: Grant
Dunedin
Experience
Semi Commercial
Inaccuracies like this are a little bit of a pet peeve for me...
One of my main pet peeves with the AFB issue of the beekeeper is the ridiculous "scale" on the AFB heat maps. They are deliberately done in a way that you cannot meaningfully compare a heat map from one issue to one in any other issue as it is plotted as a percentage of whatever the maximum amount of AFB is in an area for that time period.

NickWallingford

BOP Club
Tauranga
Experience
Retired
The NZ Beekeeper has a long and illustrious history of using other species, flipping images of combs, and even printing a negative as a positive, if you know what I mean. It is many years ago now since the editor was a beekeeper.

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Nearly happened to me on my own stationary. I gave my business card maker a mock up of the card I wanted and a photo of a bee near a flower that I wanted on it.

My card came back completed with a wasp on it :rolleyes: . The guy had decided the bee pic was not very good so without consultation had gone to his stock image supplier, looked up "bee", got a wasp pic and stuck it on my card.

Upset when I told him no.

Mid Canterbury
Experience
Semi Commercial
Inaccuracies like this are a little bit of a pet peeve for me...
One of my main pet peeves with the AFB issue of the beekeeper is the ridiculous "scale" on the AFB heat maps. They are deliberately done in a way that you cannot meaningfully compare a heat map from one issue to one in any other issue as it is plotted as a percentage of whatever the maximum amount of AFB is in an area for that time period.
One of my issues with the AFB heat map, it looks like every man and his dog in Ellesmere for the last few years has got or had AFB. Despite me without AFB since 2013/14, when I started losing queen cell orders a couple of seasons ago because I was in an AFB hotspot, I shifted the grafting yard onto one of the biggest farms in Ellesmere, and other than blackcurrant pollination time I am the only beekeeper on it. This is a bit of a pain, cos it's further in time and fuel for me, but I thought it was one way of helping to avoid AFB, and hopefully gives me some sort of barrier. It has been intimated to me that this was an over reaction, because within in the hotspots there are areas without AFB, and if the hotspot was to be enlarged I would be able to see that I wasn't near AFB!