Who's in ApiNZ?

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Katikati
Experience
Commercial
Been pondering joining some bee group.
I won't benefit from the ApiNZ membership like others. For example reduced testing prices. And struggle to accept that big C and MH board members will look after smaller beeks.
ApiNZ won't disclose who their membership base represents.
Would I be sitting in a room full of Manuka honey producers, big commercials or hobbyists.
So, who's prepared to disclose if they belong to ApiNZ?

Trevor Gillbanks

Founder Member
Palmerston North
Experience
Hobbyist
My Opinion only
ApinNZ represents Corporate beekeepers
NZ Beekeeping Inc represents Large commercial beekeepers
SNIBG Inc represents smaller commercials and hobbyists.
I think there is a place for all 3 groups but they do need to work better together. However, I think that is a pipe dream.

I belong to SNIBG Inc

Reactions: Alastair
Bay of Plenty
Experience
Commercial
My Opinion only
I think there is a place for all 3 groups but they do need to work better together. However, I think that is a pipe dream.

I belong to SNIBG Inc
Yes only your opinion and not factual.

canterbury
Experience
Commercial
As a rebel operation we belong to no formal organisation, probably because I am too mean to pay the subs ..... so really, am a voice in the wilderness and should not complain when told to shurrup and be a mushroom.

We are though fully paid up members of Asure Quality and the AFB Management agency, but seem to see little financial benefit from either ..... and worse still, can't seem to wriggle out of paying the subs.

Katikati
Experience
Commercial
APINZ has Packers, big, medium, small and hobbyist beekeepers as members and a seat on the board for all those groups as well.
Big C and MH have elected to represent Commercial. Though are Packers and Marketers also. They probably make a lot more via Packing and Marketering. Is that fair? Could I choose to represent Hobbyist then?

Last edited by a moderator:
Katikati
Experience
Commercial
My Opinion only

I belong to SNIBG Inc
Does SNIBG disclose their membership make up?
NZ beekeeping Inc?

NickWallingford

BOP Club
Tauranga
Experience
Retired
I am a member of ApiNZ if only to ensure its responsibilities relating to the NPMP are upheld. Small price to pay - and I get a magazine!

I would venture to say that every one of NZ Beekeeping Inc's members have 50 hives or more - their membership form won't let you use any smaller number.

Bay of Plenty
Experience
Commercial
wriggle out of paying the subs

Big C and MH have elected to represent Commercial. Though are Packers and Marketers also. They probably make a lot more via Packing and Marketering. Is that fair? Could I choose to represent Hobbyist then?

Whether you like it or not, those companies also have very big commercial beekeeping operations as well, and so also fit the commercial beekeeper representation.

Wellington
Experience
Researcher
Here are the representatives:
Dennis Crowley (Commercial)
Kate Kember (Commercial)
Raymond Key (Commercial)
Ricki Leahy (Commercial)
Peter Luxton (Market)
Tony Wright (Market)
Paul Martin (Non-commercial)

They are voted for by members.

Gisborne Tairawhiti
Experience
Researcher
I’m a hobbiest beekeeper, bee researcher and a member of ApiNZ (following on from being a member of NBA). I’m also a member of the ApiNZ Science & Research focus group, which advocates for and makes submissions on issues affecting bee health and honey quality.
I am being asked to talk about AFB detection and that is not solely limited to APINZ however.
As a scientist, I see most of this effort coming from ApiNZ (which is appropriate) but am always interested in what other science is being done, funded or otherwise contributed to, by other industry groups.
For instance, great to see that SNI contributing to the Massey Uni AFB dog project

Trevor Gillbanks

Founder Member
Palmerston North
Experience
Hobbyist
For instance, great to see that SNI contributing to the Massey Uni AFB dog project
Yes. We have put a lot of money, over the years into science project. Trees For Bees have also benefitted from us over the years.

Does SNIBG disclose their membership make up?
We have never been asked to provide that information.
I will ask our secretary to provide that information (in broad terms without releasing personnel info) to me.
We hold a monthly meeting on the 1st Tuesday of each month (except January) at the Newbury Hall 10.30 to 2 pm.
All welcome. Fees are only $10.00 per year regardless of bee holdings. Our membership is less than 100 members.
We are a group that likes to talk bees.
We are also actively involved with the recent Varroa infestation in Fiji. Covid is preventing us from taking extra action.

• Thanks
Reactions: CHCHPaul
canterbury
Experience
Commercial
Interesting comment came up at the booze cruze in leeston the other night.
New boy big commercial CEO sat in the office of third generation bee boss and asked the question ..... how the heck do you make money out of bees?

Experience 😘

Reactions: NickWallingford
West Coast
Experience
Hobbyist
Y
Interesting comment came up at the booze cruze in leeston the other night.
New boy big commercial CEO sat in the office of third generation bee boss and asked the question ..... how the heck do you make money out of bees?

Experience 😘
You are correect James, but when you are a packer you need loyalty to the people that supply you the raw product and when you are a producer you have to be loyal to the packer who buys your honey year after year.I would hate to be a packer as they do not know how much honey they are going to have each year so cannot commit to some good contracts

Reactions: John T

Trevor Gillbanks

Founder Member
Palmerston North
Experience
Hobbyist
Can we ask what other science projects SNI has contributed to financially? An estimate would be of interest as the size of direct industry funding is unknown at this time
I don't have all that info on hand.
I will ask at our next meeting.
As we are a quite small group with very limited funds we cannot donate particularly large funds. I have only been in the group for about 5 plus years so my historical knowledge is fairly limited.
I also know that we have assisted with a couple of masters/PhD students with some study funds.
Our group also sent some beekeepers to Australia several years ago to study Small Hive Beetle. We are considering another such expedition, however, covid has slowed that down.
We did also put money into GWA research.
I am not at liberty to say the $$$$ amounts.
We have also bought in overseas beekeepers to get job experience here by our members employing them during to season. At least 1 recent one came from Europe.

Reactions: CHCHPaul