Who's in ApiNZ?

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Katikati
Experience
Commercial
Whether you like it or not, those companies also have very big commercial beekeeping operations as well, and so also fit the commercial beekeeper representation.
[/QUOTE]
Still begs the question. These guys buy a lot of other beekeeper honey, and pack and market it. And buying it cheap is good. And being on the board probably gives them good information and an edge.
C is not primarily a Commercial, how can they be if listed on the stock exchange.

C and MH have pushed hard for Manuka access, at the detriment of others. And C imports propolis from their other overseas company, so I now can't sell my propolis. It's about cheap product. If they could, I think they would sell all their bees.

For some the discount on testing Manuka pays for the membership. Is that why they join? And it's cheap for hobbyists.

Must be lots like myself, I think...not represented. By choice or having no real place to belong.

Reactions: frazzledfozzle
West Coast
Experience
Hobbyist
Unverified Content: Some or all of the content of this post contains unverified claims. Information (which could be true or false) that is unconfirmed at the time it is shared.
Why was APINZ set up in the 1st place. I beleive it was set up because the mimister of Agriculture would not deal with 2 groups representing beekeepers. NBA and FED FARMERS.Did APINZ ask for a vote I do not receiving one and I know 1st hand that there are some shady deals being made by board members.I have had many discussions with the minister and he asked my opinion.I told him he would never ever get the beekeepers in one group.The only way forward I see it is to have a single desk marketing authority such as Zespri or kiwi friut board.This will take legislation and the industry needs to want it.

Trevor Gillbanks

Founder Member
Palmerston North
Experience
Hobbyist
Why was APINZ set up in the 1st place. I believe it was set up because the minister of Agriculture would not deal with 2 groups representing beekeepers. NBA and FED FARMERS.
That is the basis of the formation of ApiNZ. At the Wanganui conference about 6 plus years ago, A vote was put to members to amalgamate Fed Framers BIG (Bee Industry Group) and NBA. This vote was held and passed and the motion was for Board members of Beekeepers, Packers and Marketers.
If you were not a member, you did not get a vote. And nor should you have.
The rest since then is another story.

Reactions: NickWallingford

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Why was APINZ set up in the 1st place. I beleive it was set up because the mimister of Agriculture would not deal with 2 groups representing beekeepers.

Sort of, but not quite.

First, I'm going to say that I got my first job commercial beekeeping around 49 years ago. At that time I noticed the argumentative nature of beekeeper politics, and how there was never any system that pleased everyone. At a very young age I decided to avoid beekeeping politics, and have rarely attended any conferences.

The industry has always been full of discord, and people who will argue black is white.

So why was APINZ set up? At the time I was an NBA member. Corporate beekeeping was entering the picture and there was the usual discord and moaning, this time being directed at the NBA. A road show was held promoting the formation of a new organisation with different governance. The plan was to form it and merge the NBA into it.

Of course as per normal in beekeeping politics, there were those who were not happy with this, so shortly after the formation of APINZ, those disaffected formed an opposition group, and canvased all the beekeepers they could contact to attempt to get them to defect from APINZ and join the opposition group.

The government did not want to deal with different representatives that couldn't stand each other they wanted to keep it simple and deal with one entity, APINZ seemed the right choice at the time.

Beekeepers in NZ have almost never presented a united front, and certain elements will happily sabotage and undermine each other. The cantancerous nature of this thread is a typical example, normal NZ beekeeping politics. This has been and will continue to be to the detriment of us all.

My opinion only, the way it has appeared to me over my time in the industry.

Gisborne Tairawhiti
Experience
Researcher
Yes. We have put a lot of money, over the years into science project. Trees For Bees have also benefitted from us over the years.
As we are a quite small group with very limited funds we cannot donate particularly large funds.

Err, which is it Trevor? :)

Hence my followup question to 'a lot of money'. But its really good to know that students are being supported - often this is the biggest bang for the buck, in terms of getting research done. Unfortunately most beekeepers think that the government should fund the relevant research of the day.

Spoiler alert - it ain't gonna happen !

Mid Canterbury
Experience
Semi Commercial
Err, which is it Trevor? :)

Hence my followup question to 'a lot of money'.
In our current environment I would regard any donation as 'a lot of money'.

Secondly I have seen the minutes of SNIBG and I would regard their donations to various industry activities, along with education for their members, as substantial but prudent.

I am a member of both APINZ and SNIBG.

Katikati
Experience
Commercial
The cantancerous nature of this thread is a typical example, normal NZ beekeeping politics.
Um, I don't believe we are arguing.. or are we?? I am not trying to trash ApiNZ-
I don't really care why ApiNZ was set up and I think it's the most professional group out there, as in the Board members and connection with governmental groups.
Alastair, you belonged to NBA. Are you like me then, a lone star. I haven't attended a Conference for some time myself.
I don't expect that beekeepers should get on with each other, as in a friendly manner as a norm. Pretty sure many other trades don't get on with each other either!
Unity in the big issues is what's important.
For instance, how ApiNZ is lobbying for some action in the 2 yearly audits.
Staying on Topic -
WHO IS A MEMBER of ApiNZ on this forum?

Mid Canterbury
Experience
Semi Commercial
Thanks for your membership @Maggie James , I did not know you were a member.
For a number of years. In myself I am more comfortable with getting the big picture. This includes reading the Beekeeper Journal and the Apiarist's Advocate.
Unity in the big issues is what's important.
Agree. To me total agreeing on everything constitutes autocracy/cutting corners leading to death of an organisation/group/industry/forum. There are so many streams of income in this industry, that were not present 25 years ago. There needs to be adaptability and acceptance as to why people have their opinions. But it needs to be remembered that the basis of this industry is the beekeeper. No beekeepers, not much aligned industry, govt depts, scientists wanting funding etc etc

Last edited:
Hawkes Bay
Experience
Commercial
I am a member of Apinz and New Zealand beekeeping Inc. Both organisations have strengths and weaknesses, politically I much prefer New Zealand beekeeping Inc as individual members have a lot more opportunity to have their voices heard. You can and I have had many good discussions over policy with individual board members from Apinz but good luck getting your voice heard at the AGM if you don't agree with the policy they have agreed on. Two quite different styles of management with different agendas and different outcomes.
I have unfortunately had very little to do with southern North Island but I know quite a few of their members and they are good people.