Who's in ApiNZ?

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Bay of Plenty
Experience
Commercial
Why was APINZ set up in the 1st place. I beleive it was set up because the mimister of Agriculture would not deal with 2 groups representing beekeepers. NBA and FED FARMERS.Did APINZ ask for a vote I do not receiving one
Being one who was involved in the merger, the ministers opinion at the time was not the main reason, but it was just one of the many reasons why. If you were a member of either NBA or BIG you had the opportunity to vote, your choice if you did or didn't, if you were not a member of either then you wouldn't of had a vote.

tommy dave

Gold
BOP Club
mostly wellington, sometimes dunedin
Experience
Hobbyist
Here are the representatives:
Dennis Crowley (Commercial)
Kate Kember (Commercial)
Raymond Key (Commercial)
Ricki Leahy (Commercial)
Peter Luxton (Market)
Tony Wright (Market)
Paul Martin (Non-commercial)

They are voted for by members.
@ApiNZInfo what's the breakdown of membership by numbers.
Simple way to present it, this many members, this many fall into each category.
From memory, API-NZ was reluctant to release this information. Some suggestions at the time included that their claim to government to be the representative of NZ beekeeping might be called into question.

There might be good reasons to be secretive about membership numbers and makeup. However, I can think of none, which is my main concern about api-nz. Similar to using shill accounts on various platforms rather than being up front and honest about who is posting.

frazzledfozzle

Founder Member
Nelson/Tasman District
Experience
Commercial
We were NBA members the moment we bought our first hives.
as soon as the NBA was swallowed up into ApiNZ that was it for us.

The NBA was a beekeeping organisation run by beekeepers for beekeepers.
Apinz decided To open its doors to corporates, packers, marketers and landowners.
Actual on the ground beekeepers are probably underrepresented in their numbers.

To me ApiNZ is a corporate mouth piece looking out for corporate interests.

New Zealand
Experience
International
APINZ has Packers, big, medium, small and hobbyist beekeepers as members and a seat on the board for all those groups as well.
Nothing new here.
APINZ is suitable for all in my opinion. The larger the membership becomes the more powerful the voice of the industry. The representatives are quite relevant, though I question the place of Comvita and Manuka Health having representation on both APINZ and UMHFA. Maybe a rotation between the two would be seen as less self serving. There are a number of companies (not quite as large as C & MH but with faster growth) without representation, who potentially have more relevance to the future movement and direction of the industry.

Katikati
Experience
Commercial
Thanks everyone who have responded to the Topic. Below a summary of forum individuals and their position. Some are in several groups. These are all the participants so far in the discussion. The last two groups will need clarification- can easily update. Anyone reading this, and want to let me know what position they are in/or not - reply. More that respond the better, so you ghosts just send a quick line!

APINZ MEMBERS
Dennis Crowley (com)
Nick Wallingford (retired)
John F (hob/research)
Maggie James (semi)
John B (com)

SOUTH NORTH ISLAND BEEKEEPING GROUP
Trevor Gillbanks (Hob)
Maggie James (Semi)

NEW ZEALAND BEEKEEPING INC
John B (com)

FEDERATED FARMERS
James

NOT IN ANY GROUP
Gino de Graaf (com)
Alastair (semi)
Southbee (com)

NOT IN APINZ BUT MAYBE IN ANOTHER GROUP?
Bighands (hob)
Bron (com)
Morporks (com)
Stephen B (com)

Bay of Plenty
Experience
Commercial
Thanks everyone who have responded to the Topic. Below a summary of forum individuals and their position. Some are in several groups. These are all the participants so far in the discussion. The last two groups will need clarification- can easily update. Anyone reading this, and want to let me know what position they are in/or not - reply. More that respond the better, so you ghosts just send a quick line!

APINZ MEMBERS
Dennis Crowley (com)
John F (hob/research)
Maggie James (semi)
John B (com)

Trevor Gillbanks (Hob)
Maggie James (Semi)

John B (com)

FEDERATED FARMERS
James

NOT IN ANY GROUP
Gino de Graaf (com)
Alastair (semi)
Southbee (com)

Bighands (hob)
Bron (com)
Morporks (com)
Stephen B (com)
Gino
Iam also a NZBeekeeping member

• Good Info
Reactions: Gino de Graaf
Katikati
Experience
Commercial

APINZ MEMBERS
Dennis Crowley (com)
John F (hob/research)
Maggie James (semi)
John B (com)

Trevor Gillbanks (Hob)
Maggie James (Semi)
Stephen B (com)

John B (com)
Stephen B (com)
Dennis Crowley (com)
Nick Wallingford (Retired)

FEDERATED FARMERS
James

NOT IN ANY GROUP
Gino de Graaf (com)
Alastair (semi)
Southbee (com)

Bighands (hob)
Bron (com)
Morporks (com)
Oh, and how about you @Scientia Sit Potentia ? are you are honey buyer?

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Well since I have been outed, and named, as not a member of any group, and Gino suggested people update, I will do so with an explanation.

I used to be a happy member of the NBA as it's goals and principles were pretty much aligned with my own. There was also a sense of duty to contribute financially to my industry. Although as I previously said I did not participate in the politics or even vote on anything just to avoid getting sucked down the contentious and often pointless rabbit holes that sometimes existed. Was happy to contribute financially though.

APINZ do some good work, but they conducted a hostile takeover of the NBA, and commercial beekeepers were relegated to a minority vote. I will only support an organisation financially where those with most of the hives have most of the votes.

NZ Beekeeping Inc was formed as an opposition group and contained most of the malcontents and stirrers. ( Does have some fine people as well ). They also do some good work, and have a different outlook to APINZ. However it has always disturbed me the way that as an industry we have never had a united front, and I will not support them because although I am not 100% enraptured with APINZ, the facts on the ground are that APINZ are the main representatives, we should not actively oppose them, purely for the sake of unity.

South North Island Beekeeping, probably a fine group, just, I am not a South North Island beekeeper.

Those are my views at this time, I reserve the right to change them and it is not impossible I may choose to join one or more of those groups at some future time.