NZBF: Wintering hives in the UK

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Uk
Experience
International
Hi I'm from H.N, keeping bee's in the UK. This my first year, cedar hives are fully insulated, top & 4 sides, winter here lasts 6 to 7 months, getting the colony thru to spring is paramount, feeding fondant with pollen in, bee's are flying on warm days,10c bring in pollen from hazel and early woodland flowers, I have lost 1 hive, not big enough to generate enough heat to keep them warm.

Reactions: Grant

Mummzie

Staff member
Tasman
Experience
Hobbyist
Hi I'm from H.N, keeping bee's in the UK. This my first year, cedar hives are fully insulated, top & 4 sides, winter here lasts 6 to 7 months, getting the colony thru to spring is paramount, feeding fondant with pollen in, bee's are flying on warm days,10c bring in pollen from hazel and early woodland flowers, I have lost 1 hive, not big enough to generate enough heat to keep them warm.
Hello R Stark, welcome to the forum on the other side of the world, what brings you here?
Where is H.N. ?

We are just starting to cool down, the total opposite of you and winter where I am seldom stops the bees flying. Its fascinating reading the differences in beekeeping styles between countries and even between climate zones in the same country.

Reactions: Josh and Grant