Yellow Stickered Track Question

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Plan was to begin honey harvest next week, and harvest has to be finished by 12th March, the latest date my extractor guys will accept honey for extracting. But with the floods a lot of my sites are not accessible due to slips and mud however if the rain stops maybe they will dry out in time.
Possibly bigger problem is tracks that are yellow stickered. The tracks are still there but are yellow stickered (you can't drive on them) because they are in danger of sliding down the hill. All up probably 1/2 my sites are not accessible.

So the question, can I get an exemption for yellow stickered tracks?

Good news, all my hives are OK, no losses at all. One close shave, just before Christmas I moved an apiary to a different place on the same property. The place where they were no longer exists, it's a pile of mud and debris in the valley below.

frazzledfozzle

Founder Member
Nelson/Tasman District
Experience
Commercial
Plan was to begin honey harvest next week, and harvest has to be finished by 12th March, the latest date my extractor guys will accept honey for extracting. But with the floods a lot of my sites are not accessible due to slips and mud however if the rain stops maybe they will dry out in time.
Possibly bigger problem is tracks that are yellow stickered. The tracks are still there but are yellow stickered (you can't drive on them) because they are in danger of sliding down the hill. All up probably 1/2 my sites are not accessible.

So the question, can I get an exemption for yellow stickered tracks?

Good news, all my hives are OK, no losses at all. One close shave, just before Christmas I moved an apiary to a different place on the same property. The place where they were no longer exists, it's a pile of mud and debris in the valley below.

if they are only yellow stickered you should still have access ?
even if you technically don’t have access who’s going to stop you from going in anyway ?

Reactions: Alastair

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
I cant see a Govt department letting you self manage such risk, and honestly- would you want to ?

Bureaucrats can be over the top, they got to consider inexperienced people in 2WD's, and their solution is one size fits all. I'd be happy to self manage, and we are talking my years income here. Like a lot of North Island beekeepers, over the last 50 years I've had to navigate a good number of situations the government were not all over the top of and knew nothing about.

But in answer to Frazz, who's gonna stop me, in one case anyhow the landowner, she called me about it and absolutely clear she doesn't want me on it. Her and hubby are freaking and moving their valuables to a friends place, her adrenalin is high and they must have got to her.

But I'm not sure the difference between a red sticker and a yellow sticker. If someone could tell me a yellow sticker is non binding that would be great.

Mid Canterbury
Experience
Semi Commercial
In my experience whether it be extreme weather or earthquakes (and we have certainly had our share of both here), if the government or a local body decree something is a no zone, there's a very good reason. It's so you won't risk your life and your vehicle, and also endanger the lives and vehicles of rescuers.

Then there's the issue if you are somewhere that you legally shouldn't be in your vehicle your insurer won't cover you for anything, nor will ACC.

So unless you have a helicopter.........

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
Not sure for land only premises.

A red sticker bans anyone from entering a property, while a yellow sticker meant some access might be granted, for example with supervision or only to some parts of the building.

See if you can dog anything up from the land owner.

• Thanks
Reactions: Alastair

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Thanks Grant, very useful reply for when I talk to them, and anyone else.

It is probably significant that it was yellow stickered not red stickered.

The dilema for bureaucrats is that if they do not yellow or red sticker, then somebody gets hurt, the bureaucrat is in the firing line. So they got to take a maximum precaution approach bearing in mind in cases like this that a lot of people have no experience driving in these conditions, so they got to be stopped. Which also stops others that have do have experience, and capable vehicles.

Plenty other beekeepers in the same predicament.

I think what I will do is harvest all the easy sites then see how things are going at the others. But the TV1 weather forecast tonight was not encouraging, they are saying there will be plenty more rain over the next few weeks.

Hawkes Bay
Experience
Commercial
Over 40 years ago I went through the Paeroa flood. We lost about 50 hives and had a lot more damaged by water. There was amazing community spirit helping to clean up people's houses but the bureaucrats certainly didn't help. People were told they could store their wet furniture et cetera in a big warehouse and then someone decided to just landfall the lot. At the Ministry of Works they through out everything from chainsaws to a new metal lath still in its packing crate as well as shovels because they had all been contaminated by sewage. The amount of sewage in that flood must've been about 1 part per billion. When I dig out a blocked drain I don't throw away the shovel afterwards. Things have got a lot worse in the past 40 years so I wouldn't expect any common sense from anybody in authority. Choices should be for individuals to make and they should also take responsibility for those choices. Having a nanny state is fine for those that want it but we should all have the right to take that responsibility on ourselves for ourselves.