AFB

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
great barrier island
Experience
Semi Commercial
This doesn't sound like a case of PPB on your part.

There is the possibility that the source could be a jar of honey dumped or thrown into a rubbish bin.

I know of two instances where the beekeepers couldn't work out where the AFB came from. Eventually finding, in both instances, in derelict buildings an old container of honey.

A number of years ago, I had sporadic cases, but apiary specific. Eventually after several seasons of sporadic cases, it transpired that 1 km from this apiary stored for many years in a shed was equipment from a long time deceased beekeeper. Once all the gear in the shed was matched, no prob.
hmmm. we are pretty close to the local tip.

Mid Canterbury
Experience
Semi Commercial
i’ve been really happy with the response of the afb pmp. As much as i’m scared what they’ll find i’m really grateful they’ve taken my case so seriously and are throwing dollars, inspectors time and lab testing at trying to find the source and then eradicate. It will be 16 days from me calling them to them flying in tomorrow.
I expect tomorrow, you will find informative & interesting. All the v best. You might look back, & find it was an enjoyable day!

great barrier island
Experience
Semi Commercial
That's interesting. There has been several cases of hives with AFB dumped at a tip and been robbed.
That's interesting. There has been several cases of hives with AFB dumped at a tip and been robbed.
@Alastair i went to talk to the tip crew today. there were bee boxes tossed in the dump face in december. 🤫

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Just found AFB in one of my hives today. Can happen to anyone, any time.

Shows why it's important to AFB check when removing honey. The hive is a 5 decker jammed full of honey. Going to be a pig to burn, but still better than if I had taken those boxes without checking, then next season possibly infected a whole bunch of hives with the infected frames.

kaihoka

Gold
whanganui inlet
Experience
Hobbyist

Shows why it's important to AFB check when removing honey. The hive is a 5 decker jammed full of honey. Going to be a pig to burn, but still better than if I had taken those boxes without checking, then next season possibly infected a whole bunch of hives with the infected frames.
When the honey burns does it smell like burnt sugar ?

great barrier island
Experience
Semi Commercial

######.

that’s 💩.
i want to give you a like and a sad emoji at the same time.

• Agree
Reactions: Alastair and Bron
Bay of Plenty
Experience
Commercial
Actually yes. However in a case like that most of the honey will run off into the dirt, which is why it's important to dig a deep hole.
You have to turn that honey thats run into the dirt over while the fire still going., It can form a skin on top of ash and not burn up properly, and if fire pit left open rain/wind can wash top layer off. I have seen bees gathering unburnt honey residue from a AFB fire pit that was left open, about a week after the person had burnt afb hives near his shed, the hives around his shed kept getting afb. I reckon it takes 2hrs to completely burn all the melted honey and hardware turning the ash over to completely get rid off all traces.

canterbury
Experience
Commercial
We burn our diseased hives in a drum. start it off up right, then tip it over onto a hive lid , which catches any honey/wax that might run out.
Then turn the drum and on the l;ast leg when most of the wood'n'wax'n' honey is gone ....throw the lid in.
Clean burn, no spilt honey or wax, an hey presto , all yer left with is ashes and wire that you can plant a rose on in remembrance of the good times.

NickWallingford

BOP Club
Tauranga
Experience
Retired
Foulbrood - A Bee Disease
Poverty Bay Herald, Volume XII, Issue 4341, 27 July 1885, Page 2

"Never should bee farmers neglect to bury at least a foot deep every article of brood which they do not return fresh to the bees."

I'd agree with the first concept, but remember this was from 1885 so not surprised at the second...

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
You have to turn that honey thats run into the dirt over while the fire still going., It can form a skin on top of ash and not burn up properly, and if fire pit left open rain/wind can wash top layer off. I have seen bees gathering unburnt honey residue from a AFB fire pit that was left open, about a week after the person had burnt afb hives near his shed, the hives around his shed kept getting afb. I reckon it takes 2hrs to completely burn all the melted honey and hardware turning the ash over to completely get rid off all traces.

Yeah sure, that's what I do. And I would never think of leaving an AFB fire pit uncovered. In fact it never takes me less than 4 hours to do an AFB burn because I spend the time turning everything over, until every last scrap is 100% vaporised.

Perhaps the difference between you and I is that when burning a hive with more than 100 kilos of honey in it, I am not going to pretend that at least some of that honey does not soak into the dirt.

Accepting that reality means it is factored in and precautions taken. IE it gets buried deep, and robbing at one of my AFB burns simply does not happen.

Burning in a drum? No. Recipe for disaster, not to mention illegal. Any honey that does escape ends up on the surface ready to be scooped up by the first bee to come along. I have seen a burn being done in a drum, with molten honey and wax running out the bottom, straight onto the dirt. It's also harder and more work, than burning in a hole.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Bee Real
Hawkes Bay
Experience
Commercial
In cases where you get more than one AFB it is always either your fault because you have spread it amongst your own hives or someone else has done some really bad beekeeping and you have got it from your bees robbing out a neighbour. When you only get one and there is no other AFB found then most of the time I believe it is caused by contaminated gear that has often been in use for many years and I have had several AFB hives from boxes that had been scorched (an old and for many years now illegal practice). Those boxes were probably scorched over 40 years before . These odd cases are always going to occur . Well done on finding it and stopping the problem going any further.
The scenario of finding one AFB and not really knowing where it comes from is quite disturbing but nowhere near as bad as finding six like I did this year and knowing exactly how someone else's incompetence caused the problem.

canterbury
Experience
Commercial
Yeah sure, that's what I do. And I would never think of leaving an AFB fire pit uncovered. In fact it never takes me less than 4 hours to do an AFB burn because I spend the time turning everything over, until every last scrap is 100% vaporised.

Perhaps the difference between you and I is that when burning a hive with more than 100 kilos of honey in it, I am not going to pretend that at least some of that honey does not soak into the dirt.

Accepting that reality means it is factored in and precautions taken. IE it gets buried deep, and robbing at one of my AFB burns simply does not happen.

Burning in a drum? No. Recipe for disaster, not to mention illegal. Any honey that does escape ends up on the surface ready to be scooped up by the first bee to come along. I have seen a burn being done in a drum, with molten honey and wax running out the bottom, straight onto the dirt. It's also harder and more work, than burning in a hole.
I beg to differ !

great barrier island
Experience
Semi Commercial
In cases where you get more than one AFB it is always either your fault because you have spread it amongst your own hives or someone else has done some really bad beekeeping and you have got it from your bees robbing out a neighbour. When you only get one and there is no other AFB found then most of the time I believe it is caused by contaminated gear that has often been in use for many years and I have had several AFB hives from boxes that had been scorched (an old and for many years now illegal practice). Those boxes were probably scorched over 40 years before . These odd cases are always going to occur . Well done on finding it and stopping the problem going any further.
The scenario of finding one AFB and not really knowing where it comes from is quite disturbing but nowhere near as bad as finding six like I did this year and knowing exactly how someone else's incompetence caused the problem.
So far the AP2 hasn’t found any more, not even in the hives on the same pallet as the infected one. (a massive relief !!) I think the infection has most likely has come from gear put on the hive in summer. A box had been held on the site from a dead out (with the brood frames autopsied and then taken to the shed for melting down)
In our shed is a pallet with all the boxes removed from that site. They took a sample of wax from those boxes and will see if there are spores present in which case we’ll be ordered to burn all the boxes. I’ve also been asked to burn the other hives from the infected pallet.
We also need to consider what we do with all the frames stored in the shed for scraping down and rewaxing. the one’s removed from the site won’t be too hard to locate, they were full depth and everything else is 3/4.
Burn I did a few months ago, someone elses hives. Try that in a drum.
heres my more modest pyre.
65F9D84C-FEC3-44A4-90C5-5FE369BE1598.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Hmm I think burning the other hives on the pallet is a little over the top. Me, I'd quarantine them and watch them. If all good in 2 years they come out of quarantine.

But if you've been requested to do that and you don't have an issue, guess I can't argue.

• Agree
Reactions: frazzledfozzle