Apiary Diary November 2021

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
canterbury
Experience
Commercial
Hmmmm ..... we been pouring the sugar into the bees ov er the last few months.
In political speak ..... it's been a challenging spring.
Cool weather, no honey dew, hungry bees, drone layers....
We fed out two tonne of sugar this week.
Today I talked with the nice girls at Natural Sugars for another tonne of raw .....
Nothing available for ten days ....
Supply problems.
Hungry bees don't go ten days with no Kai.

On a bright note, today the trainee took her gloves off and went Commando.
It's always good to see potential.

Hawkes Bay
Experience
Commercial
No Bro ...... A frame like this in the brood is a hanging offense ..... or the beekeeper should've gone to spec savers.
I was having a lot of trouble with frames like this for quite a while and blamed it on the hives being too close to electric fences or possibly powerlines.
The problem eventually went away when I stopped wearing my pink veil.
I wonder what Dale's frames look like?

• Haha
Reactions: James and southbee

kaihoka

Gold
whanganui inlet
Experience
Hobbyist
No Bro ...... A frame like this in the brood is a hanging offense ..... or the beekeeper should've gone to spec savers.
I have a frame with a hole in it .
I have kept it because if I want queen cells they like to build them around the hole and they are easy to remove without damage .
Or even removing the whole frame with cells .
If they build them on the bottom its easy to damage them .

canterbury
Experience
Commercial
I was having a lot of trouble with frames like this for quite a while and blamed it on the hives being too close to electric fences or possibly powerlines.
Oh crikey ..... better get the trainee some fluro overalls ....

Christchurch
Experience
Hobbyist
We’re out of the house since June for renos. And near where we’re staying a local Beek has 4 hives in their front yard, plane as day.

Lively bright two tone coloured hives.

Kudos for the proud front yard keeping. And clearly have some swarm issues this season. When ever a swarm happens (twice that we’ve seen) they put out a trestle blackboard, onto the adjacent footpath, with “WARNING SWARM” written on it.

Brilliant!

canterbury
Experience
Commercial
Aye for sure missus
The photo is just an example of feeder
They seem to work…. Bees dont block the escapes…. And the honey can sit there for days with no robbing as they seem to stay ‘queen right’
But yes …. There always the odd one that dont perform

Reactions: Fieldbee (Mary)
Christchurch
Experience
Hobbyist
🤣😂🤣😂🤯🤬 😳 (my emotional roller coaster)

Stinking hot day, but loved the new ventilated bee suit.

Last hive to check (of 4, I’m just a humble hobby beek) and there’s a half formed queen cell. My brain reacts before it thinks…

I opened up the cell cup excited to see the contents and wow, there’s jelly & an egg. Feck! 🤦‍♂️ I hope there’s still a queen or more cells. No more cells and then, in the second to last frame, I found her safe’n’sound. I can relax😅

Must be thinking of supercedure, they’ll try again no doubt.

Lesson learned. That and the fact my new suit is plent long in legs & arms, but a little short in body. If I’m not careful, I get choked and a wedgie at the same time. 😳

Reactions: kaihoka

Bron

Staff member
Gisborne
Experience
Commercial
@Josh weve all been there and done that at some stage of our beekeeping journey! I’ve got a method where i scrape the top of any frame I may need to go back to, dependant on what I see and feel about the hive. We are slow beekeepers though, because day and time is irrelevant when you’re having fun and your own boss!

Its lovely to see shiny new queens, healthy brood and a bit of honey in the supers. Those second brood boxes are getting a bit hefty! My chicken wings have disappeared again from the lifting. :ROFLMAO:

It was damn hot out there today probably drank about 3 litres of water and a thermos of iced black coffee.