AZ Slovenian hives.

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
Expansion seems to be the main issue but are you looking at traditional or hybrid?

maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
looks like nitemare when the frames get waxed up.
the other issue is its a fixed size.
it reminds me of something i saw a long time ago. the hive was like a filing cabinet. pull the door and all the frames come out on a rack.

just keep in mind, a lot of those designs are done for local reasons. those reasons don't exist here, so why try and reinvent the wheel?

Reactions: tommy dave

mischief

Gold
Putaruru
Experience
Hobbyist
As I understand it, this type of hive was designed for a much colder climate and so that women and children could look after them while their husband/father was off working elsewhere.

If you are going to give this a go even in our milder climate, I would love to hear how you get on with it.
Its legal in NZ cos the frames are all inspectable.

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
Its legal in NZ cos the frames are all inspectable.
yes, no legality issues. The side opening makes it interesting. I would assume it could be adapted for wheelchair users or those not able to lift heavies.

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
I agree after thinking about it.
I hate squishing bees and cannot see how a proper AFB inspection can be carried out...how to get the bees off each frame to be fully inspected and then, back in the box?
Have a look at some videos, the slide out quite nicely. The benefit is no lifting and more even temperature management, especially in winter and as the OP is south, that may be a benefit. The issue I see is it would be tricky with a hive that has sealed everything up.

AZlang30g.jpeg

Reactions: mischief