Fringe beekeeping?

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Timw

Gold
Onehunga Auckland
Experience
Hobbyist
Well I know I’m out on a limb here - but still working Warres - and really enjoying them and a TBH. I started with the TBH and after buying Warres from Nick Holmes several years back actually have been making my own. 2 swarms collected on consecutive Mondays and by day 12 the first one into the Warre building very nicely. I can report a lucky escape - melting wax on the gas hob and got distracted. Boiled over with wax all over the hob and down the front of the oven. Fortunately wife at work. Brilliantly solved with judicial use of the heat gun and a roll of paper towels!

Attachments

• 87704F5D-9C92-42E5-8E9E-B1C963AC9867.jpeg
    87704F5D-9C92-42E5-8E9E-B1C963AC9867.jpeg
    273.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 291ABFD1-A8D5-4719-AC30-192D71B3137C.jpeg
    291ABFD1-A8D5-4719-AC30-192D71B3137C.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 30

Dansar

Founder Member
BOP Club
Putaruru
Experience
Commercial
Warre are fun to use. Every year for the past 6 or 7 I have promised myself I will repopulate the Warre hive sitting in the back of the shed. Hasn’t happened yet 🤣

Reactions: Grant and Timw

Timw

Gold
Onehunga Auckland
Experience
Hobbyist
I would be interested in why you favour Warre hives.

Hi @Mummzie - I hesitate to get into this as there’s a very pro Lang community here and a somewhat negative reaction to “alternative “ hives. I started with a topbar about 5 years ago as we have a small urban property and don’t have a car. I’d been reading about

Timw

Gold
Onehunga Auckland
Experience
Hobbyist
Hi @Mummzie - I hesitate to get into this as there’s a very pro Lang community here and a somewhat negative reaction to “alternative “ hives. I started with a topbar about 5 years ago as we have a small urban property and don’t have a car. I’d been reading about “Balanced” beekeeping- Phil Chandler and others and as I was primarily interested in the plight of bees and lack of them in our garden - v honey production - I got the TBH - it on the front deck - I went out and caught a swarm and was hooked. I wanted another hive but the TBH take space. I then met Nick Holmes - an arborist beek - who came to prune our trees. He made Warres. He is a fascinating person- remarkably knowledgeable - you can google an RNZ interview. He explained the Warre and it’s in principle similarity to the TBH - natural comb building and proximity to a natural hive - smaller cavity. I bought one from him and then another then made a few myself. (Just one at home - others with friends nearby). I’d read a lot more - Thomas Sealy, Bill Anderson, Eva Crane, and was encouraged by a couple of supportive comments on nz bees and Carol at the bee club (swimmers against the tide). I had one bad cross comb experience early on that caused anguish but persevered. I get enough honey for the wha Mau and leave most for the bees. I’m amazed by these creatures and - as many on this forum have said - it’s a long learning curve. I happy balance to the cardiac OR!

yesbut

Staff member
Nelson
Experience
Hobbyist
I'm running a supernuc for fun.....currently three 3/4 6-frame boxes....in plan area it's a whisker smaller than a warre but takes the usual frames..

Reactions: Grant and Otto

Mummzie

Staff member
Tasman
Experience
Hobbyist
I hesitate to get into this as there’s a very pro Lang community here and a somewhat negative reaction to “alternative “ hives.
This online forum community has mellowed somewhat, and I would like to encourage you to present your experiences.
You will be commenting from a position of experience and able to create positive interest.
I for one am here because of a serious bee addiction developed because of wanting bees for my garden. There is commercial beekeeping- and recreational beekeeping. Their methods don't have to be the same, the desired results are different, but in common they have the health of the colony.

Christchurch
Experience
Hobbyist
If nothing else the Warre hives look cool. I don’t know anything about their method/philosophy.

But I’m a sucker for the classics. I also like the WBC hive

5B22C624-E807-49D1-B7EB-7FA693E38AF2.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Timw

Dansar

Founder Member
BOP Club
Putaruru
Experience
Commercial
I got over the space management of a strong hive. Consisitantly having colonies growing to 9 boxes high. It’s fun but requiring more time manage than a Langstroth made me put the format to the side for a time.I’ve made a good number of them and hope they are still in use around the country.
BB0B2696-D07C-4813-ABE6-F81C7A139C4A.jpeg92AE915A-CCE0-4F2A-AC1D-88A27F62C3A4.jpeg10A2B8D3-CFAF-4367-9E2E-672E05CDCB6A.jpegEB303D63-DA77-4535-A8F4-5F72450898B3.jpeg33CA5FAF-A977-47E3-95D5-F652B19D9738.jpeg95C487FD-7D52-4F14-BCE8-791CA00BC6C0.pngCF5BCEF0-7921-495D-B2AB-910BB80DDDAE.jpeg

Dansar

Founder Member
BOP Club
Putaruru
Experience
Commercial
05269DC9-CCF4-4B46-8FD6-60F046BEAE10.jpeg Home garden. Don’t have a garden like this anymore 😂
FC4A9D7B-9ABC-4746-B279-ED654970EDDC.jpeg I had already taken 2 honey boxes of this one and it need more space.

Reactions: tristan

Timw

Gold
Onehunga Auckland
Experience
Hobbyist
@Dansar I got to 5 - the one on the right is at home the taller in a monastery nearby - kind of fitting given Abbey Emile Warre was the inventor. Your Warres are elegant- ive admired them from afar.

179635D8-96EE-46C6-A4BA-EA08F03C73C0.jpegD2A95F0D-39DE-472F-8335-268035AD8F54.jpeg

Timw

Gold
Onehunga Auckland
Experience
Hobbyist
I’m interested, I’m here for the bee chat and to learn about all types of beekeeping. I reckon I could lift those. I’m information gathering for my retirement! ;-)

@Bron There’s a number of good books including Emile Warre’s Beekeeping for All, David Heath’s Natural Beekeeping likely on Kindle or in the library. Here are a few links to Nick Holmes’s articles- he’s no longer in Auckland. There are pretty easy plans to follow on line if you want to build one - I’ve use untreated radiate but hardwoods are better although mine seem to be holding up.

Reactions: Bron
maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
I hesitate to get into this as there’s a very pro Lang community here and a somewhat negative reaction to “alternative “ hives.
i don't think it was a case of being "pro-lang", its more about hives being sold based on things that are not true. plus they where almost always sold to beginners who didn't know better. the fail rate of them is pretty bad.
langs are recommended for beginners because they are easily available, gear is off the shelf, advice is easy to get. i don't recall anyone complaining when an experienced beek looked at or got an alternative hive.

nothing really bad about warre hives, they work with the bees well because they are orientated the right way. only downside is they get tall due to the smaller boxes, but that can be managed.

Reactions: tommy dave

Mummzie

Staff member
Tasman
Experience
Hobbyist
langs are recommended for beginners because they are easily available, gear is off the shelf, advice is easy to get. i don't recall anyone complaining when an experienced beek looked at or got an alternative hive.
Exactly @Timw point.
There is little help for someone who does not want to swap gear after a year or two.
Those points may be valid- but if there is nothing wrong with the hive, why cant they start with them.

Timw is now in the position he can provide help/information. Lets let him talk