Homogeniser setup

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Auckland
Experience
Hobbyist
Hey @James I thought you are away for more drums. 😄
By the time I wanted to ask a question related to the homogenizer, the original forum moved, so here I go.
Comparing to your setup how would you think it may work a homogenizing tank based on the sugar mixing tank theory?
Lets say we have a 1000 L, or more, SS tank with an exit at the bottom and another one on its side close to the bottom. Each exit will get a honey pump to move the honey back into the tank(at the top). Those who have honey pumps for their extraction line will make this setup with a little investment. However it still may be a cheap option for small guys like myself(smaller tank and only 1 pump).

Bay of plenty
Experience
Commercial
Hey @James I thought you are away for more drums. 😄
By the time I wanted to ask a question related to the homogenizer, the original forum moved, so here I go.
Comparing to your setup how would you think it may work a homogenizing tank based on the sugar mixing tank theory?
Lets say we have a 1000 L, or more, SS tank with an exit at the bottom and another one on its side close to the bottom. Each exit will get a honey pump to move the honey back into the tank(at the top). Those who have honey pumps for their extraction line will make this setup with a little investment. However it still may be a cheap option for small guys like myself(smaller tank and only 1 pump).
Don't like you chances of getting good mixing. Honey is much thicker than syrup and any flow of honey won't push far into a tank. Also a stirrer doesn't need to cost much, it's just a motor gearbox and a bit of stainless.

canterbury
Experience
Commercial
Hmmm ..... I shall send you a picture of the homogeniser .... it seems to work quite well. The proof of the pudding will be in when samples results come back from top to bottom of tank....
I thought of the syrup tank method ..... but those that know say honey settles in layers ... so if you are sucking from the bottom and refilling the top.... it's not really mixing the layers .....
Correct me someone.

southbee

Gold
Southland
Experience
Commercial
Pic would be nice if you can be bothered, and honey certainly settles in layers. That's the whole reason for homogenising in the first place. Did a sample of a drum today which clearly showed that, unfortunately. All the honey from the same site, same time, but different sources and it settled in layers.

southbee

Gold
Southland
Experience
Commercial
Thank you for the pic, can see the honey :). Might have to ask son no.1 to build us something similar one day...., once the honey price comes up a bit!

maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
Not a very gd pic.... but you get the idea. The paddle is ver simple, but generates a rotation at 14 rpm
how many paddles?

had the interesting quirk the other day of a batch that was so dry that the paddles stirred the honey under a top layer that didn't move.