Lockdown recipe's

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
There must be a few lockdown favourite recipes floating around. What's you goto favourite (with thumbnail pictures please)?

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
O M G @Otto
I hope at least that you are having GF for a bona fide medical reason and not by choice. o_O

Dunedin
Experience
Semi Commercial
My wife was diagnosed with coeliac disease earlier in the year. We decided the best option for getting her healthy was to rid the house of gluten. The kids and I nip out for a pie or pastry once in a while to get our wheaty goodness treat.
Hasn't actually been that difficult a change to make. I've come up with a pretty good bread recipe. Lots of experimenting, which is the best part of cooking anyway.

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
Ah good onya mate. I have a colleague who ends up being taken out for around 2 weeks with each episode. They are so careful but occasionally something slips through the net. It's not something I'd like to live with.

Dunedin
Experience
Semi Commercial
At home is pretty straight forward for us. It does make going out for dinner more challenging. Lots of places are trendy gluten free but don't understand cross-contamination...
What will be even more challenging is going and visiting family etc... We'll cross that bridge towards the end of the year.

• Agree
Reactions: Grant
Bay of Plenty
Experience
Commercial
At home is pretty straight forward for us. It does make going out for dinner more challenging. Lots of places are trendy gluten free but don't understand cross-contamination...
What will be even more challenging is going and visiting family etc... We'll cross that bridge towards the end of the year.
My sister was diagnosed last year as well, I get an irritated throat and cough a lot if I eat to-much wheat. I found glutin F bread bloody bad as lunch time samies as they become soaked with what ever you use on it. I found if you lightly toasted the bread first and then place cheese, ham etc on the bread/toast first then build the wetter ingredients in the middle, your GF lunchtime sammies will be a lot better. Hellers sausages are good from supermarket.

Dunedin
Experience
Semi Commercial
My sister was diagnosed last year as well, I get an irritated throat and cough a lot if I eat to-much wheat. I found glutin F bread bloody bad as lunch time samies as they become soaked with what ever you use on it. I found if you lightly toasted the bread first and then place cheese, ham etc on the bread/toast first then build the wetter ingredients in the middle, your GF lunchtime sammies will be a lot better. Hellers sausages are good from supermarket.
I haven't found a commercially available gluten free bread I like (although there are lots I haven't tried). I prefer to make my own. The bread I make now certainly is no wheat bread but it tastes good, is excellent as toast and holds together for a sandwich.

yesbut

Staff member
Nelson
Experience
Hobbyist
More butter solves that !