Manuka honey company sold for $36m

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Looks like Jarvis has done well. Seems the company generated a lot of money while he ownd it, and he has now sold it for a very excellent price indeed.

Never heard of the guy before, but just shows, a total novice can start a bee business and do OK. He must be one of the most successful corporates out there

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
You know the old maxim, past performance is no indicator of future performance.

Especially in the bee business of late ;)

At a selling price around two thousand dollars per hive I suspect that 1. The seller did OK, and 2. Being in the business and clearly a guy with some business savvy, he was able to see the signs and know when it's time to get out.

New Zealand
Experience
International
You know the old maxim, past performance is no indicator of future performance.

Especially in the bee business of late ;)

At a selling price around two thousand dollars per hive I suspect that 1. The seller did OK, and 2. Being in the business and clearly a guy with some business savvy, he was able to see the signs and know when it's time to get out.
Or the buyer understands the global longterm opportunity and sees value in getting in?

Reactions: NZDan and Grant

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Good answer Mummzie and I agree with the sentiment behind your post.

However, bottom line, when considering an opinion, me, I also consider the source of the opinion.

In this case the poster could be a beekeeper, could be a packer, could be the purchaser of the business, could be the seller, could be who knows? Each of those will come from a different place and have a different perspective and bias.

Like someone said, "every viewpoint, is a view from a point".

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Yes I would say that's who Maggie thinks it is.

If it is PB, never short of an opinion :ROFLMAO:

Highly intelligent guy though, although it was almost 50 years ago I last saw him in person, but very like his Dad, practical and smart, I have followed him remotely down the years.

But frankly, I don't see him taking on this venture at this time.

Last edited:
Reactions: frazzledfozzle
canterbury
Experience
Commercial
Or the buyer understands the global longterm opportunity and sees value in getting in?
Hmmm ..... I see longterm opportunity but don't fancy climbing in ...... but probably should.
The market is bottoming out, confidence is low, the bubble has run out of steam.
Needs a lot of hot air to inflate again .... probably needs a Gvt reshuffle to tweak the standard to align crop with North Cape, Taranaki and the East Cape so that it complies with out blending to ensure the producermakes a return on his investment.

`I would suggest it might be a job for my young fellah .....
Hold the faith young man.

I the meantime ..... I am happy hibernating...... rising like a slothfull bear in the mid morning after a night on the homebrew, and snoozing again in the warmth of the late afternoon, awaiting for the sun to rise above the mid way zenith before I climb up into that saddle of those five hundred horses and feel the thrill of the rush as they as they pull on the hills of the Divide.

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: Bron and Alastair

yesbut

Staff member
Nelson
Experience
Hobbyist
warmth of the late afternoon, awaiting for the sun to rise above the mid way zenith before I climb up into that saddle of those five hundred horses and feel the thrill of the rush as they as they pull on the hills of the Divide.
Perhaps a change of vocation might be called for....Fonterra tankers are all 750 HP !

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
I see the buyer Me Today went up .8 cent today on the back of it's full year earnings.

Me Today which has been making losses, has been languishing along at around 8 cents a share. It has now jumped to around 10 cents a share, probably on the back of purchasing something that has actually been making a profit.

However, thinly traded penny dreadfuls like this do have considerable volatility in percentage terms.

In my view, based on the new management, the current situation in the NZ honey market, and the price paid for the business, the new owners will have their work cut out attempting to get a reasonable return.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out over the next several years.

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Jarvis is a smart operator who already knew how to run a profitable business. Smart guys with insider knowledge also know when it's the right time to sell, and, how to jack the price. In this particular deal he certainly covered his bases every which way.

Me Today, well, let's just say they are running at a loss, and leave it there.

One thing in their favour, being in the "health and wellness" business, they may have inroads into that type of customer base, who will pay over the market for manuka honey.