Matters of concern.

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
canterbury
Experience
Commercial
Oh yes I forgot .... For the record Gino ..... we got honey in drums going outta the gate tommorrow..... a bit over twenty tonnes at $5.50/kg .... which equates to about 17.8kg /hive.
Not a great year ....

Reactions: Gino de Graaf
Katikati
Experience
Commercial
Oh yes I forgot .... For the record Gino ..... we got honey in drums going outta the gate tommorrow..... a bit over twenty tonnes at $5.50/kg .... which equates to about 17.8kg /hive.
Not a great year ....

Darn. Damn mites aye. My gut instinct; beekeepers ae going to find it increasingly difficult to keep mite loads down.
20 is high, tho if broods all hatched and good bee numbers maybe ok. Also, those mites could just be hanging in there. Apivar starves them out, if that's correct.
Dribble on some acid if you have stuff all brood. Quick and effective.
I'm just back in from the great bee hive shuffle... Getting those wetter sites out and redistribute to drier spots. Glad I own a 4x4, it's already getting puggy.
Thanks for sharing your returns.

canterbury
Experience
Commercial
No worries Gino. Bought another $4k of Bayvarol ....looks like we'll be working the w/e in the rain.
Did some mite washes on the East coast honey dew hives yesterday ..... which for the most are looking good.

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Back in February / March at honey harvest I put bayvarol in most of the hives to get rid of some getting close to expiry. Last week went around to pull strips and check and found some hives it has worked, most hives had some mites and PMS, and a few hives were badly infested. So last week went though all the hives and re treated with Apivar even though it's only 3 months to the next treatment.

My prediction across the country is there will be big losses this winter. Some of the traditional treatments are not working as well, plus some folks will be turning more to alternative treatments for the first time and lack of experience / knowledge with those treatments will take it's toll.

canterbury
Experience
Commercial
Well there yah go. Like Dennis, I’m out too. I don’t think it was as neat or as business like as Dennis.
I bought a one ticket back to the Triumph in North America a few months ago, to twist the grip south to the Andes.
The bees are still unsold, dying by the day of starvation and mites and the lack of a Beekeeper.
Sometimes, if you bang yer head against the brick wall for lo ng enough… the pain dulls and you see the light…. Right?

• Sad
Reactions: Goran

southbee

Gold
Southland
Experience
Commercial
Well there yah go. Like Dennis, I’m out too. I don’t think it was as neat or as business like as Dennis.
I bought a one ticket back to the Triumph in North America a few months ago, to twist the grip south to the Andes.
The bees are still unsold, dying by the day of starvation and mites and the lack of a Beekeeper.
Sometimes, if you bang yer head against the brick wall for lo ng enough… the pain dulls and you see the light…. Right?
Hope the light keeps shining over there for you James, go for it! I'll miss your postings and poems, but when you're back make sure you tour to Southland for a visit one day!

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Funny how things turn though, right now I got orders for more hives than I can supply, and the price of bush is up from $4 to $7.

But manuka? Lucky I never invested in that bandwagon

Reactions: Goran and CHCHPaul

frazzledfozzle

Founder Member
Nelson/Tasman District
Experience
Commercial

sorry to hear you haven't sold but happy to hear you are doing what you love.
and yes there does come a point where you just have to walk away.

Be thankful for the good times, be thankful for your health, be thankful for family and friends nothing else really matters and now you are free to follow other dreams.

You certainly aren’t the only one to walk away from their hives recently.

great barrier island
Experience
Semi Commercial
when we sell some I will post the price
when we sell some I will post the price we get on this thread :)
I haven’t caught up in this thread for ages.
We’ve just sold this seasons small crop of 10+ Manuka for $23, which I believe is a great price, tbh I think it was mostly a case of someone who knew someone who put our honey forward. Now we only have 20, 21 and 22 left to sell 😢. I’ve been told that Manuka is selling as low as $1 per umf point.
We’re selling more now through our own tiny little honey shop than to wholesale buyers.