Oxalic Acid

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Whakatane
Experience
Commercial
nice one fieldbee......60/40 ..... is that by weight.

I wonder why I get crystallisation ?

Yes that is by weight.
why do you get cyrstallisation. Is that as the liquid cools?
That is what I found so that is the other reason I keep the temp of my liquid up above 30 I noticed my liquid crystalizing if it got cooler. Think that is normal.

Having a warmer wax melter (not above 55) stops crystalization and helps the strips drip dry quickly,

Dansar

Founder Member
BOP Club
Putaruru
Experience
Commercial
I like Bob Binnie. I think of him as the Kenny Rogers of YouTube beekeeping. He has nothing to hide.

This series he’s started with Oxalic/glycerine will be worthwhile following. The scientists waffle a bit, but it is worth watching the 3 part video before the series where the research starts.
Part 1 of 3

They are working on the research of Alue cap branded oxalic/glycerin cellulose base treatment strips.
Starting in the yard and more videos to come -

Auckland
Experience
Hobbyist
I like Beequip's information page with instructions.
I never used their cardboard strip or anything similar, however I will have an observation.
I remember Phill saying the same thing too about drying the strips/staples just like on beequip's guide. They say to remeove excess solution from the strips by firmly wiping them over the rim of a crate, pail or a hive box(as per Phill).
This method was not so successfull for me.
I found the best method to dry the strips/staples over night so they will not longer be greasy(the bees like them this way or I think this way their feet are not affected by the solution).
Also letting the staples to dry(I hang them over some wooden bars) they will still hold more solution compared to wiping them(I do not think this is a major concern), however when they are dry and the crystals show on the surface that is what we all want to achieve,

Reactions: Fieldbee (Mary)

kaihoka

Gold
whanganui inlet
Experience
Hobbyist
I would like to go back to strips after my experience with bayvarrol this autumn.
I did use phils strips .
Does the link take me to his opperation.
Does he sell the strips . It seems he sells a kitset DIY of ingredients.
Am I wrong .