Price stability: A good or a bad thing?

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Tauranga
Experience
Marketer
Which is why I am asking where the money is being made / cost added. If there is a supply chain of multiple steps between producer and consumer - is it possible to remove some of the chain.

In my experience there is often some corporate or clever clogs in the middle who takes a clip with no added value. I went to get a product the other day, and noted 3 hands it had gone through to get to my client. They could have gotten it themselves and cut out two wholesalers. Drop shipping is a classic example of this.

What stops someone with a few web skills and a bit of nouce setting up a supply that looks like: BeeKeeper ->Packer -> Website ->Purchaser. Drop ship from the packer or if the Beek is really clever they drop off product to the packer, collect it packed and ship it themselves.

At present there is a 500% mark up from Beek to Supermarket if $4 to $20 per kg is used as a figure. It seems criminal that the closer to primary producer you are the more work you do and the less return is made.
If you think the grass is greener, or the $ more lucrative, feel free to expand your operations vertically up the supply chain and do what they are doing, or buy shares in a company doing that. Look how well it's going for Comvita.
What's the point in complaining?

canterbury
Experience
Commercial
Uh
It's already done and been discussed many times. Which is why we have the produce finder to allow public to get to the source directly - their local beekeeper, who could stick something in a jar make it look pretty and charge $15 per 500g jar. The produce section is empty.

Likewise the marketplace for industry sales - I have 500kg of clover for sale at xx dollars - empty.
You have a guy on the forum wanting to buy honey-dew to make some meade and so far the only reaction has been, what a waste of honey-dew. I mean :unsure:
oops ..... better check out grants marketplace before i sign the contracts to empty my shed

Christchurch
Experience
Beginner
If you think the grass is greener, or the $ more lucrative, feel free to expand your operations vertically up the supply chain and do what they are doing, or buy shares in a company doing that. Look how well it's going for Comvita.
What's the point in complaining?
Not complaining. Asking. You don't ask you dont learn.
Besides which .. the little we produced we got $16 per kg. With $1.00 per jar overhead. We grew it, spun it, bottled it and marketed it. Gotta love cottage industry :b

Reactions: frazzledfozzle