Using oxalic staples - 2 years on

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
canterbury
Experience
Commercial
Yes I did ...... I chucked it all in the water jacketed wax melter ..... took about an hour to dissolve.
Then i ran it out into two buckets filled with Hive Worlds cardboard strips.
I'll mix up a bigger pot next time ..... and put an element in the melter that has a thermostat.

Dunedin
Experience
Semi Commercial
Yeah .... I was looking for it yesterday to refresh the memory on the recipe .....I ended up mixing 10kg of O/A with 10lt of glycerine ....
Not exactly the same but in the right ballpark. I use 40% oxalic to 60% glycerine (weight per weight). Density of glycerine is 1.261kg/L. So you used 10kg oxalic and 12.6kg of glycerine. Slightly higher oxalic concentration.

canterbury
Experience
Commercial
Not exactly the same but in the right ballpark. I use 40% oxalic to 60% glycerine (weight per weight). Density of glycerine is 1.261kg/L. So you used 10kg oxalic and 12.6kg of glycerine. Slightly higher oxalic concentration.
I found the recipe off Randy Olivers website... 25ml glycerine/25gm O/A

Got me thinking to ‘Where’s PhilBee’ ...

I need to write the recipe on the wall or something.

Reactions: Grant
canterbury
Experience
Commercial
So .... is that a thumbs up from grant aboit philbee.... or writing the recipe on the wall.
And while we’re at it.... where’s Gino, and Stoney.....

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
Philbee, and Mr Black were banned on the old forum, things reset on this one. There was another pbee that got the chop too I think.

• Wow
Reactions: James
Christchurch
Experience
Hobbyist
@Otto, or anyone else, how long do the dried strips keep? Anyone thought of VAC packing them? Although I loath necessary plastics, making the small hobby volumes is a real pain. And I’m looking to OA as an extra treatment to Apivar/Bayvrol, but also need it to be convenient and readily available

• Agree
Reactions: Mummzie and Grant
Gisborne Tairawhiti
Experience
Researcher
Gotta thanks all those who have contributed on this topic. The use of these staples looks to have increased significantly - probably due to the ever-increasing costs of commercial strips.
Thanks to Otto on their methods and people like James and Frazz who shared how they didn’t work and why . . . all of which has contributed significantly to the field of work

• Agree
Reactions: Grant
Dunedin
Experience
Semi Commercial
@Otto, or anyone else, how long do the dried strips keep? Anyone thought of VAC packing them? Although I loath necessary plastics, making the small hobby volumes is a real pain. And I’m looking to OA as an extra treatment to Apivar/Bayvrol, but also need it to be convenient and readily available
I'm certain VAC packing them would work well.
I store mine in a sealed bucket. I have stored over winter and then used them in early spring and am confident they work just fine (although I haven't done a direct comparison with freshly made ones in a side-by-side trial).

• Good Info
Reactions: southbee and Josh
Christchurch
Experience
Hobbyist
@Otto Thanks for that, will make up a batch and use your drying tricks and store them in VAC maybe. Should be interesting. I’m going to set up a bunch of old frames (foundation melted off) as drying racks in the shed safely in boxes. Then either store them in a flat airtight container or maybe even try VACing some for a test