NZBF: Varroa - test or count after treatment?

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
so can I use the remaining strips next season.

I have folded the top of the pack and wrapped wide sellotape around this in the hope i can reseal the pack.
"Apivar packs are sealed under vacuum to ensure a good preservation of the strips and the best quality. So, to guarantee a high concentration of amitraz, strips have to be used as soon as possible after opening.
In the apiary: It is recommended not to prepare strips the day before their installation into the hives."

so no storing opened packets.

yesbut

Staff member
Nelson
Experience
Hobbyist
"Apivar packs are sealed under vacuum to ensure a good preservation of the strips and the best quality. So, to guarantee a high concentration of amitraz, strips have to be used as soon as possible after opening.
In the apiary: It is recommended not to prepare strips the day before their installation into the hives."

so no storing opened packets.
Manufacturers have to say these things, it's all about self preservation. There's a difference between opening 100 packs and tossing the strips into a box on the truck seat and quickly opening & extracting a couple of strips then re sealing.

maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
Manufacturers have to say these things, it's all about self preservation. There's a difference between opening 100 packs and tossing the strips into a box on the truck seat and quickly opening & extracting a couple of strips then re sealing.
not to sure on that. they are vacuum sealed and i thought they started releasing the chem when that vacuum was released. tho i could well be wrong on that.

Bay of Plenty
Experience
Commercial
The manufactures don't have to say those things, what they do say is they will back any strips o do what they say they will do on the pack if you use them as the instructions say, that is what they have tested on with a margin for error, if you go out side their instructions, they wont guarantee the product but it may still work.

Reactions: NickWallingford