Videos while beekeeping

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

frazzledfozzle

Founder Member
Nelson/Tasman District
Experience
Commercial
After all this time, I still love my job. There's always mites, or some problem to solve. But each bee yard is a soothing place to go to.

At this site, this morning, this little guy meets me at the gate. He always follows me to the bee yard, hangs around, then follows me back again at the end.

View attachment 466

Then I drive down to the site, here is the beautiful scenery that surrounds me. For an hour or two, this is my office 🙂

View attachment 467

Even the calves are totally mellow. Take a passing interest in me, that's it.

View attachment 468

Then it's time to leave, I take a last pic.

View attachment 469

Drive on to the next site, pass a hunter crossing the road on the way (48 seconds)

Could I want a better job? Money wise, probably. Mental and physical health wise, this is it 🙂

really enjoyed the photos and especially the video :)
would love to see more beekeepers posting snippets of their everyday drive :)

frazzledfozzle

Founder Member
Nelson/Tasman District
Experience
Commercial
What I like about @Alastair video is knowing he’s from Auckland but not actually having been to Auckland apart from the airport and conference moons ago I was amazed at the scenery particularly the big cliffs on the right hand side and the pig hunter and dogs in the middle of the road.

Gives me a different perspective of what his area is like.

yesbut

Staff member
Nelson
Experience
Hobbyist
What I like about @Alastair video is knowing he’s from Auckland but not actually having been to Auckland apart from the airport and conference moons ago I was amazed at the scenery particularly the big cliffs on the right hand side and the pig hunter and dogs in the middle of the road.

Gives me a different perspective of what his area is like.
Another way of looking around is Google Earth/Street View....travel the developed world as well as NZ .....

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
really enjoyed the photos and especially the video :)
would love to see more beekeepers posting snippets of their everyday drive :)

OK well seing that went down so well, here's a few randoms

Nearly a head on

Arriving at a site

Arriving at nuc yard in the rain

Suicidal pig

When the paddock is too wet to cross

Last edited:
Reactions: kaihoka

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
That was a close call at the junction. My language would have been a lot stronger for sure
You should put your youtubes in the media gallery Video

Reactions: Alastair
Hawkes Bay
Experience
Commercial
I used to help my mate work has bees in an apiary with an ostrich. We always had a broom for protection and didn't use a smoker until the ostrich had been stung enough that he gave up. Those things are dangerous. One broke my friends mums ribs kicking her through a deer fence. There is still the odd large egg kicking around the farm but the ostriches are gone thank goodness.

Auckland
Experience
Hobbyist
I have a video of an ostrich that I legit thought I was going to have to fight somewhere on my beekeeping Facebook page, and a few time lapses I made at harvest but I don’t know how to upload them, I’ll try figure it out

Make sure you dye the ostrich first

Gizzy
Experience
Commercial
I used to help my mate work has bees in an apiary with an ostrich. We always had a broom for protection and didn't use a smoker until the ostrich had been stung enough that he gave up. Those things are dangerous. One broke my friends mums ribs kicking her through a deer fence. There is still the odd large egg kicking around the farm but the ostriches are gone thank goodness.
I was in the truck fortunately but it started doing it’s little dance and I did wonder if it was going to get me in the window.

There are about 4 of them on this farm I’m on and it’s happy days everytime I see them because at least then I know where they are 😂

I wouldn’t want to end up in a fight with one because I don’t think running away would be an option, I just try to avoid them.
I can imagine they could really do some damage.

canterbury
Experience
Commercial
Nice videos Alistair.
I kinda liked the one of Hooks Nuc yard ..... thoroughly enjoyed the gate opening sections with the European beauty and was getting really excited when I saw all the Nucs, ..... but then it ended.
What happened next ?

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Next? We worked.

It was a nice little nuc yard, we had made up 100 3 framers which gradually got boosted into full hives. By adding package bees whenever there were some spare.

No video of that though, nearly all videos I got is while driving unless someone else made them and shared them with me.

I do actually have some such videos and as interesting as they are they include peoples private conversations etc I don't feel at liberty to post them.

Last edited: