Whats Flowering Today

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

southbee

Gold
Southland
Experience
Commercial
Hi Southbee - I have never seen crimson clover. Last season there was a lot of red clover grown around here. Red clover has a more tubular shaped flower to that of white, and around here the bumble bee with a longer proboscis is the primary pollinator. However if there is a heavy nectar and pollen flow the honey bee will work it, and when I have seen this happen it has been in drought conditions.
I haven't either :) The pic I posted was definitely red clover. The bees are happy there, but like I said I suspect they mainly got their nectar from the lotus growing amongst it. Apparently crimson clover nectars very well and it's accessible to honey bees, so would love to see it around here! Funny thing was, that the farmer hadn't sown any extra clover, white, red or crimson. It all just came up and he's very happy and blamed it on the bees.

Mid Canterbury
Experience
Semi Commercial
I haven't either :) The pic I posted was definitely red clover.
Sorry, I have misinpreted your comment. I thought you were commenting on James' pretty photo.

It would be interesting to see what the honey from crimson clover was like. Apparently in Europe it is a major nitrogen fixer. Maybe with increased world prices of fertilisers due to freight and shortages, whether farmers here will start growing it more.

southbee

Gold
Southland
Experience
Commercial
It says in 'Nectar and Pollen Sources of New Zealand' that the honey of crimson clover is no different to that of other clover, but available earlier as it flowers in October. And I'm pretty sure that all clovers are nitrogen fixers, they are all the same family, but I'm not an expert on that. I'll ask some of our farmers why they don't grow it....

Reactions: kaihoka

Max

Christchurch
Experience
Beginner
It says in 'Nectar and Pollen Sources of New Zealand' that the honey of crimson clover is no different to that of other clover, but available earlier as it flowers in October. And I'm pretty sure that all clovers are nitrogen fixers, they are all the same family, but I'm not an expert on that. I'll ask some of our farmers why they don't grow it....
Crimson clover is grown by some farmers but unlike red or white clover it is an annual which limits its usefulness in New Zealand where we like having perennial crops.

West Coast
Experience
Hobbyist
Willow pollen coming in today which I think is rather early especially seeing as the bees are in the Otira Valley. The pollen was light yellow so am guessing it was willow

Dunedin
Experience
Semi Commercial
Willow pollen coming in today which I think is rather early especially seeing as the bees are in the Otira Valley. The pollen was light yellow so am guessing it was willow
Five finger pollen is a very light yellow colour and it could be flowering now. Would be early for willow yes.

southbee

Gold
Southland
Experience
Commercial
Our willow down here is not flowering yet, still buds, the pic is from about a week ago. Tree lucerne is starting so and gorse, of course :)and five finger also not open yet.

Attachments

• pussy willow2.png
    pussy willow2.png
    840.9 KB · Views: 7
Mid Canterbury
Experience
Semi Commercial
Gorse has flowered all winter here, generally there is a lull. Tree Lucerne flowering since early May. Nothing much else though, this rain has really put a dampener on things. In town boundary a few daffs and camelia flowering. Too wet to plant carrot seed, will have to delay this another week.

BOP
Experience
Semi Commercial
Rewarewa flowering in B. O. P now! That’s about 3 months earlier than expected here.
I haven’t seen the bees working it yet, but there’s been a few nice days.
Still winter temperatures, so I don’t know if there’ll be much nectar flowing?…