ApiNZ and Japan

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Christchurch
Experience
Beginner
As I said before, you are not reflective of the global demographic of the average honey consumer.
Then make the average consumer a better demographic like me. Harrods or M&S sell nz honey at close to $1000 a kg. Its complete BS but they get away with it because they created consumers.
As a kid marque vue and bernadino spumante were the go to for many consumers. We could possibly get chardonnay and some red plonk. Now theres reisling, gewirtz, shiraz, merlot, rose, .... why? We were educated and created as consumers.

If theres no market .. then we need to create one or at least try. Mexicans sell us tons of green pond slime. How? They educated us that spirulina is healthy.
Saffron is a common item now. For taste only purposes as we are now educated.
Consumers are created through education.

Local honey is goid for health as it has the pollens etc from local. Beneficial to those with allergies I'm told. Good for immunity etc. Where does local honey come from? Local. Theres one point of health education.

• Agree
Reactions: Bee Real and James
Hawkes Bay
Experience
Commercial
The people who have avoided amputations or had reduced scarring after burns or radiation treatment are probably quite grateful for its medical properties. There is a reason why manuka honey is world famous
Couldn't agree more as far as external application is involved but I suspect close to 99% of manuka as consumed internally and despite all the hype there is no proven benefit to eating manuka above any other honey ..
As far as adulterated honey goes, it has been estimated by some authorities that one third of the honey traded on the world market is fake honey so removing that from the world market would surely lead to a price increase.

• Agree
Reactions: bighands
Christchurch
Experience
Beginner
The people who have avoided amputations or had reduced scarring after burns or radiation treatment are probably quite grateful for its medical properties. There is a reason why manuka honey is world famous
Missed the point. Manuka is over subscribed. How do you sell other varieties.

Bay of Plenty
Experience
Commercial
Couldn't agree more as far as external application is involved but I suspect close to 99% of manuka as consumed internally and despite all the hype there is no proven benefit to eating manuka above any other honey ..
As far as adulterated honey goes, it has been estimated by some authorities that one third of the honey traded on the world market is fake honey so removing that from the world market would surely lead to a price increase.
At an Aussie conference a few years ago, the head of Apimondia (forgotten his name) was talking about world honeys, and reckoned that if China were made to sell honey "ripened in the hive" as most countries, that alone would create a $1-2/kg price shift upwards on the world markets.

• Good Info
Reactions: tommy dave
Christchurch
Experience
Beginner
At an Aussie conference a few years ago, the head of Apimondia (forgotten his name) was talking about world honeys, and reckoned that if China were made to sell honey "ripened in the hive" as most countries, that alone would create a $1-2/kg price shift upwards on the world markets.
So .. if we cant sell adulterated milk or honey with glyphosphate or in the eu you have to properly label fake from real (eg champagne) how do china get away with fake honey?

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
So .. if we cant sell adulterated milk or honey with glyphosphate or in the eu you have to properly label fake from real (eg champagne) how do china get away with fake honey?
they have no laws or international agreements, which is why copyright cannot be enforced in china.

kaihoka

Gold
whanganui inlet
Experience
Hobbyist
As a consummer I am disappointed that NZ does not allow imports of honey from overseas .
There are many honeys from other countries I have read about and would like to try .
As a bee keeper I know all the arguments against importing honey .
Economically it would finish off a lot of struggling beeks in NZ .

Gisborne Tairawhiti
Experience
Researcher
Nah, if it was enforced then a mult-level wooden case would be built around the factory, 3 bees introduced and the thing called ‘world’s biggest beehive’

canterbury
Experience
Commercial
Correct. And that is true of cheese, wine, coffe, tea and whiskey. Yet all of these common items have established markets where people appreciate something unique about them.

When I buy an aged whiskey I am choosing out of hundreds of distilleries and an abundance of alternatives. I am prepared to pay 5 or 10 times the price of you basic jim beam to get what I like. Ditto coffee. And as for tea .. a common plant in many parts of the world (camelia) ... I am partial to regional varieties and will go out of my way to find them.

None of them are scientifically labeled for taste. Instead they are compared to fruits, smoke, sea salt, tarry rope and a world of other adjectives.

Wine is a good parallel. Every year the same area produces a different bouquet and I follow certain vintners for their skill in mixing and producing and for natures influence in the areas taste. Educate people about honey, influence how it's used to enhance lifestyle and people will buy.
I only drink GlenMorangie whisky.
Why...?
Because it reminds me of The Glorious 12....
Grouse beating in the Highlands and hunkered down in a bothy in the evenings with the cook!