Conference feedback

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
great barrier island
Experience
Semi Commercial
Yes it’s been a while but doesn’t feel like that long!
We would love to see you, I’m just waiting for Quinn to get walking properly and we will be over your way to go and see the sharks at the aquarium.
We haven’t travelled with Quinn yet, she was picking up every bug there for a while and the whole Covid thing was a big old mess.
We will come for a visit.
Probably won’t be too much longer, she’s walking short distances now, I hate it when they’re crawling around in the freezing cold in winter.

Things certainly do change, life’s new challenges.
I’m looking forward to getting out for a proper full season without either being knocked up or having a wee babe and being severely limited.
All my days have been days off lately but funnily enough I’ve forgotten what a day off feels like 🤣🤣🤣
I used to work 16 hour days regularly and I wasn’t as tired as I am now!
Riley likes to keep me on my toes by yelling for a drink of water at 3am when she could easily get it herself.
Our youngest used to enjoy a 3am breakfast. I can’t for the life of me figure out why I put up with that 💩

Christchurch
Experience
Beginner
Our youngest used to enjoy a 3am breakfast. I can’t for the life of me figure out why I put up with that 💩
I remember holding our first on my chest, wedged into the couch to keep us away from sleeping mum, until 2am when he fell asleep. Rewoke at 5am for a feed. Given to mum while I staggered off for 2 hours shuteye then off to work.
Got caught by boss staring at the pc screen through closed eyelids. How did we survive.

• Haha
Reactions: nikki watts
New Zealand
Experience
International
$4 def not the norm. With each test comes many different manuka “types” depends what each buyer requires for their brew.
have heard reliably (seen paperwork) mono at $35 and multi at $14 this season obviously depends on what your numbers pull up at and what that individual buyer is looking for.
$4 is definitely not the norm for Manuka Mono 5+.
If there is so much honey in sheds, then why do those with stock not advertise or post the availability on a site like this?

frazzledfozzle

Founder Member
Nelson/Tasman District
Experience
Commercial
$4 is definitely not the norm for Manuka Mono 5+.
If there is so much honey in sheds, then why do those with stock not advertise or post the availability on a site like this?

it’s advertised on Facebook .

You sound like you don’t believe there’s a lot of honey in sheds ?

We have two seasons of honey in our extractors shed along with 2 seasons of other beekeepers honey.

Airborne are paying $3kg for dark polyfloral and up to $5 for good dew.
if I had polyfloral I’d rather tip it into a hole than sell it for that price.

Having said that at least Airborne are buying so if you are desperate to sell there’s some kind of money to be had there.

New Zealand
Experience
International
it’s advertised on Facebook .

You sound like you don’t believe there’s a lot of honey in sheds ?

We have two seasons of honey in our extractors shed along with 2 seasons of other beekeepers honey.

Airborne are paying $3kg for dark polyfloral and up to $5 for good dew.
if I had polyfloral I’d rather tip it into a hole than sell it for that price.

Having said that at least Airborne are buying so if you are desperate to sell there’s some kind of money to be had there.
Ok are people selling at $3 to Airborne or is is just an offer? So where is the $4 for Manuka Mono 5+ being offered?

frazzledfozzle

Founder Member
Nelson/Tasman District
Experience
Commercial
I have also seen recent deals done by Airborne for a lot more than $3. It surprises me that they would bother if they have easy availability at $3?
Assume the $4 for Manuka 5+ Mono cannot be substantiated?

I can substantiate both prices as I personally know beekeepers who have both been offered and sold at those prices.
im not in the habit of telling porkies

Reactions: Alastair
Hawkes Bay
Experience
Commercial
I can substantiate both prices as I personally know beekeepers who have both been offered and sold at those prices.
I can't blame the desperate beekeepers who sell for that sort of price but that cheap honey ends up undercutting others who have paid a reasonable price and so the downward spiral continues. I agree with you on the manuka situation as well. There is tons of it out there that hasn't been sold and prices are way down. Such is the reality of a falling market because nobody wants to get stuck with $10 million worth of honey that's suddenly worth a few million less.

canterbury
Experience
Commercial
With all due respect ..... Airborne offered us $6.50 for our Rata this year ..... we declined as we got a better offer elsewhere ...... I apologise for my lack of loyalty !
Honey Dew is trading for $5 plus .....
The issue seems to be the generic New Zealand Bush honey that is neither Manuka or Clover ...... the honey being produced by the half a million boomer hives who saw dollar bills dangling from Kanuka trees.
The secret , as ever, is to produce what the market wants .

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
The issue seems to be the generic New Zealand Bush honey that is neither Manuka or Clover

Which is also the honey that I enjoy the most.

The issue with it is inconsistency. It's make up can vary from one season to another, and one place to another. So the packer does not know what he is getting.

All the same, if i want some honey for my toast, give me a nice bush blend.