Conference feedback

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
It tastes good, plus there was a big rush on it during covid so I think people see it as closer to manuka than say, clover.

However I can see why the packers want mono floral, they know what they are getting, and if they want to blend they can. Whereas so called "bush" could be pretty much anything.

southbee

Gold
Southland
Experience
Commercial
With all due respect ..... Airborne offered us $6.50 for our Rata this year ..... we declined as we got a better offer elsewhere ...... I apologise for my lack of loyalty !
Honey Dew is trading for $5 plus .....
The issue seems to be the generic New Zealand Bush honey that is neither Manuka or Clover ...... the honey being produced by the half a million boomer hives who saw dollar bills dangling from Kanuka trees.
The secret , as ever, is to produce what the market wants .
Well done, @James! (y)

canterbury
Experience
Commercial
Hmm .... I been looking for the relevant thread, but I can't find it .....
But any way ..... you always know how it is when you open your mouth and start skiting ..... the poo hits the fan.

And there I was skiting how we had sold our honey.....
Signed a contract with a deposit payable and the buyer happy to settle on the 30 of the month..... Uh huh....
Little bit of cash flow and the ability to plan forward ..... Uh huh

30th of the month is coming up fast. No deposit has been paid, and now buyers are citing that "things are tight"

Think I should have gone to the conference with a placard that reads....

Et tu Brutei.

Makes me wonder why we Beekeepers are happy to run bees into a new season with no idea where our crop is gonna go.

West Coast
Experience
Hobbyist
Hmm .... I been looking for the relevant thread, but I can't find it .....
But any way ..... you always know how it is when you open your mouth and start skiting ..... the poo hits the fan.

And there I was skiting how we had sold our honey.....
Signed a contract with a deposit payable and the buyer happy to settle on the 30 of the month..... Uh huh....
Little bit of cash flow and the ability to plan forward ..... Uh huh

30th of the month is coming up fast. No deposit has been paid, and now buyers are citing that "things are tight"

Think I should have gone to the conference with a placard that reads....

Et tu Brutei.

Makes me wonder why we Beekeepers are happy to run bees into a new season with no idea where our crop is gonna go.
If he does not come up with the money then name and shame him on the forum or start legal proceedings. A contract is binding on both sides.

• Stirrer
Reactions: James

yesbut

Staff member
Nelson
Experience
Hobbyist
I thought this was the conference feedback thread.

Whats the vibe from Rotorua . Last time I was there the curry was quite good
Yes it is supposed to be the conference feedback thread and from here on it still is ! Any replies to any of the previous ramblings will be deleted !

great barrier island
Experience
Semi Commercial
I thought this was the conference feedback thread.

Whats the vibe from Rotorua . Last time I was there the curry was quite good
i’m here. lots of honeys being offered for sale, a few people asking to buy honey too. Lots of unsold trade stands.
I missed the early seminars yesterday as we were still organising our stand and the honey show and photo contest entries. The afternoon ones put me to sleep. As always the best part is seeing other beekeepers. the first ones we saw are also from the barrier 🤣
Looking forward to randy oliver this morning.

Trevor Gillbanks

Founder Member
Palmerston North
Experience
Hobbyist
Have you seen anything new and interesting Trev ....or been party to gossip and the feeling on the street.
Mostly just yapping for me. Not much in the way of sales happening but you need to show your wares. Bee gate of interest and the eco frame.
Sorry you are not here James. I always enjoy our catch up.
@nikki watts , what stand are you on. I would love to catch up. I am on the Ecrotek stand and doing the bacon butties at 7.30 am

• Haha
Reactions: yesbut
maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
i was there for the first day.
mostly cruising the trade stands, got out the big spoon and stirred em up. especially those couch makers ;)
theres a few new products, with some good and bad points. it will be interesting to run them and see how they go.
bumped into a few old beeks i havn't see for a while.

• Haha
Reactions: nikki watts

Dansar

Founder Member
BOP Club
Putaruru
Experience
Commercial
Nice to catch up, albeit brief @Trevor Gillbanks i’ll look you up when I’m in PN in a few weeks time.

@NickWallingford thanks for introducing yourself to me, I am astounded by the amount of NZ beekeeping history you have been able to collect and digitally store for future reference.👍
@Dennis Crowley nice to catchup again
Judy Knipmeijer 👋👋
@John B probably thought “whose this young fella talking to me about simplicity frames”…🤣

Reactions: frazzledfozzle
great barrier island
Experience
Semi Commercial
Mostly just yapping for me. Not much in the way of sales happening but you need to show your wares. Bee gate of interest and the eco frame.
Sorry you are not here James. I always enjoy our catch up.
@nikki watts , what stand are you on. I would love to catch up. I am on the Ecrotek stand and doing the bacon butties at 7.30 am
hi trev. we’re stand 20. i did see you cooking the bacon this morning but you looked pretty busy.