Requesting a COI through Hivehub

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Mark Lawrence

Founder Member
Christchurch
Experience
Breeder
I watched the video on how a non-DECA holder can request a COI inspection using Hivehub.

1. Beekeeper checks list of people prepared to do COI inspections in their area.
2. Beekeeper makes contact and discusses availability and arrangements.
3. DECA holder provides registration number and candidate number ( this is the candidate number assigned when sitting AFB recognition test and visible on homepage in Hivehub).
4. Beekeeper requests COI through Hivehub using above details.
5. DECA holder receives notification of request via email and accepts through Hivehub.
6. After inspection the report is submitted by the DECA holder through Hivehub.

Just had my first request come through this way and it seems quite slick - no more paperwork to be misplaced!

Reactions: Trevor Gillbanks

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Hmm so just checked my hive hub to see what my candidate number is, it says N/A

Not sure how that works :oops:

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Do I need it to do COI's now?

I don't do them or advertise to do them, just do a few for a small number of friends.

Just looked at my original paperwork which I still have on file, my candidate number is on it (y)

Reactions: Trevor Gillbanks

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
OK just checked this out, I can see how it works as per the opening post.

Question, is it possible for me to complete a COI online through HiveHub for someone if they did not request it from me via HiveHub?

Like, they just rang me and asked so I went and inspected their hives, can I then file it via HiveHub?

Trevor Gillbanks

Founder Member
Palmerston North
Experience
Hobbyist
OK just checked this out, I can see how it works as per the opening post.

Question, is it possible for me to complete a COI online through HiveHub for someone if they did not request it from me via HiveHub?

Like, they just rang me and asked so I went and inspected their hives, can I then file it via HiveHub?

Short answer.
Yes However, they will still have to go thru the hivehub app for you to sign off the COI.

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
Is there a manual to explain all this?
Yes, follow the additional information from

Mid Canterbury
Experience
Semi Commercial
If you don't understand things, there's this incredibly old fashioned Victorian thing in life - it's called a phone, and you ring someone and use a prehistoric ancient form of communication - you verbalise. Often saves a lot of time, gives your jaw a bit of physical exercise and people aren't banging on about bizarre misconceptions

Mark Lawrence

Founder Member
Christchurch
Experience
Breeder
Is there a manual to explain all this?
There is a combination of manuals and training videos for hivehub.
There is a video showing how a non-DECA holder requests a COI - unfortunately it is entitled "How to setup an online inspection" so not obvious it is a COI request.
The requestor has to call the DECA holder and get both their registration number and candidate number. Once they have these they can request a COI from the DECA holder via Hivehub.
Once the inspection has been done the DECA holder can submit the COI report through Hivehub.

The old paper method is still available. The requestor has to download and print off the paperwork. Signatures, send to agency, etc... inefficient and extra work for everyone all round so waste of levy money.

I will be promoting the Hivehub method.

• Good Info
Reactions: Alastair and Grant
Mid Canterbury
Experience
Semi Commercial
Would the Victorians understand what you mean by phone?
I understand that it was invented in the 1870s.

To be quite honest I have found you can save a helluva lot of time, less miscommunication, getting a bit of enjoyment, and have a laugh by solving a problem with a bit of verblising on the blower.

I am not saying I am against digital/electronic communication, it has certainly come into its own with covid.

• Confused
Reactions: Alastair

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
I was thinking more that they would refer to the object as 'one's telephone'. But apparently phone came into being as an abbreviation in 1884

• Agree
Reactions: Alastair

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
If you don't understand things, there's this incredibly old fashioned Victorian thing in life - it's called a phone, and you ring someone and use a prehistoric ancient form of communication - you verbalise.

Well Ok for the old folks I guess. Those with time to spend going one to one as their Victorian ancestors.

I'm going with this new fangled interweb thing. An invention called chat sites. Very helpful some of the folks on it, and educate the masses at the same time.

Amazing this "new technology" as I believe the young hipsters call it 😉.

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
The requestor has to call the DECA holder and get both their registration number and candidate number. Once they have these they can request a COI from the DECA holder via Hivehub.

My question was if all that can be avoided. IE, somebody uses a telephone like Maggie to call me and says can I do their COI. So I check their hives, then is there a way I can sign them off on my hivehub without them having to request it on their hivehub.

Just save me the bother of having to visit people in their homes and showing them on their computer how to request it from me. Which I have already had to do and would like to know if there is a way around it when dealing with people with low computer skills.

Reactions: tommy dave