Requesting a COI through Hivehub

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Mosgiel
Experience
Hobbyist
An invention called chat sites. Very helpful some of the folks on it, and educate the masses at the same time.
So they can tell them that Covid is a conspiracy and that injecting horse drench will protect you when they should be drinking cattle drench so that they can get a high at the same time.

• Haha
Reactions: Alastair

tommy dave

Gold
BOP Club
mostly wellington, sometimes dunedin
Experience
Hobbyist
My question was if all that can be avoided. IE, somebody uses a telephone like Maggie to call me and says can I do their COI. So I check their hives, then is there a way I can sign them off on my hivehub without them having to request it on their hivehub.

Just save me the bother of having to visit people in their homes and showing them on their computer how to request it from me. Which I have already had to do and would like to know if there is a way around it when dealing with people with low computer skills.
i'm doing a couple this weekend for beek friends, assuming i can go paper-based, same as i have done for them in previous years. I'll see what options are available when i do it, if there is a simple paper based option i'll let you know - my impression is that there is, but requires someone to have a printer - just an impression though, haven't looked into it.

I remain concerned at how easy it is for people (including me) to do COI inspections with what i would class as reasonably limited experience.

My main comfort is hive survival and health over subsequent years for those i have inspected for, and a recommendation for an inspection in person after a long phone convo with an acquaintance, and the subsequent burning of the hive they were concerned about which i wasn't able to inspect in person due to geography (i had previously advised against their use of the second-hand gear, so their insurance compromise was to use it on one hive only - and then they burned the unused second-hand gear as well)

Reactions: Alastair

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
When I click it Grant there isn't a little MORE INFORMATION button on the bottom. Or am I clicking the wrong thing, what is the path to that page you have imaged?

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
When I click it Grant there isn't a little MORE INFORMATION button on the bottom. Or am I clicking the wrong thing, what is the path to that page you have imaged?
If you are on a wider screen it will be at the side but it takes you to all the manuals

1631741165923.png

NickWallingford

BOP Club
Tauranga
Experience
Retired
Cell phone and tablets do not have that facility.
I would like to be able to action the forms as I complete each apiary.
Cell phones and other smaller devices have some inherent limitations...

You could sign the piece of paper, photograph it, and send that to apiary@afb.org.nz

And if you do that without connectivity, it should send once you are connected again, hopefully...

Mark Lawrence

Founder Member
Christchurch
Experience
Breeder
Yes, there is. But it can only be done from a PC. Cell phone and tablets do not have that facility.
Which I think is wrong. I would like to be able to action the forms as I complete each apiary.
@Trevor Gillbanks that is why it is of benefit for the COI requestor to submit the request through Hivehub (requires rego number and candidate number from inspecting DECA holder).
No need for paper forms. I have done a couple of COI's this way now and it is very efficient.

Reactions: NickWallingford

NickWallingford

BOP Club
Tauranga
Experience
Retired
@Trevor Gillbanks that is why it is of benefit for the COI requestor to submit the request through Hivehub (requires rego number and candidate number from inspecting DECA holder).
No need for paper forms. I have done a couple of COI's this way now and it is very efficient.
@Mark Lawrence - I am neither an inspecting DECA holder nor a COI requestor, but still with keen interest. So what you're describing means the bkpr without a DECA has to initiate the process, and provides the DECA-holding inspector's rego number and candidate number, supplied to them by the inspector? I like the fact that it more involves the service-receiver - the bkpr without the DECA - into the processing. Who knows? The interaction might inspire some better beekeeping practices!

Trevor Gillbanks

Founder Member
Palmerston North
Experience
Hobbyist
Cell phones and other smaller devices have some inherent limitations...

You could sign the piece of paper, photograph it, and send that to apiary@afb.org.nz

And if you do that without connectivity, it should send once you are connected again, hopefully...
Why would I want to print out forms from an electronic system that is designed to be paperless.
I want to use it on my phone.

Except when I have several COI's to do in one day with multiple apiaries. I then have to write down each inspection and then fill out Hivehub when i get home.
However the system does work well if you only have one or two inspections to do in a day.

• Agree
Reactions: Josh

Mark Lawrence

Founder Member
Christchurch
Experience
Breeder
@Mark Lawrence - I am neither an inspecting DECA holder nor a COI requestor, but still with keen interest. So what you're describing means the bkpr without a DECA has to initiate the process, and provides the DECA-holding inspector's rego number and candidate number, supplied to them by the inspector? I like the fact that it more involves the service-receiver - the bkpr without the DECA - into the processing. Who knows? The interaction might inspire some better beekeeping practices!
@NickWallingford you are correct.
The AFBPMA have published a list of DECA holders who are prepared to do COI inspections in their area. The list includes email and phone number.
There are obviously costs for the DECA holder to do the inspection - travel and time, so an agreed transaction is likely to be involved.
If the beekeeper is happy with the costs then the DECA holder provides rego and candidate number and asks the beekeeper to request the COI through Hivehub. The DECA holder receives a notification that the inspection has been requested. Once the inspection is carried out the DECA holder completes the report using Hivehub.
I guess people are use to receiving COI paperwork in the mail in the past and it will take a while for people to transition to Hivehub and paperless processing.

Mark Lawrence

Founder Member
Christchurch
Experience
Breeder
Why would I want to print out forms from an electronic system that is designed to be paperless.

Except when I have several COI's to do in one day with multiple apiaries. I then have to write down each inspection and then fill out Hivehub when i get home.
However the system does work well if you only have one or two inspections to do in a day.
@Trevor Gillbanks you can do it from your phone on the spot as long as you have cellular coverage. Please see my recent reply to @NickWallingford. If no cellular coverage then you need to submit the inspection report when you can access the internet
That said, the requestor must request the COI through Hivehub and therefore must have been provided with your rego and candidate number and requested the COI through Hivehub.
You may need to guide the beekeepers through the new process but it works very efficiently for me - less than a minute to submit COI report, request is closed and beekeeper COI has been closed with the agency.

Reactions: NickWallingford